1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The mother-in-law from Hell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 18, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He agrees with the MIL that the wife is overreacting.
    He agrees with the MIL that it's the hormones.
    He agrees with the MIL that the wife should calm down because the baby was never in any danger.

He can't do that.

Well, he can, but a divorce is probably best case scenario for him. Shallow grave is the more likely option.

Azrael likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've got to be missing something. Where did the MIL ever say it was the hormones?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She is justified in her anger, but if she is fleeing with the newborn and refusing to tell him where they are - she is over-reacting.
    He is justified in trying to calm her down. Pointing out that the baby was not in danger is an attempt to calm her.
    Her hormone levels might be a contributing factor, and he might be mentioning that as a tactic to calm her, but that is probably a bad tactic.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If a father, mother and child escape a burning building, and the mother and child are hysterical with fear, is it wrong to attempt to soothe them by saying 'At least we're all safe'?

5. PCLoadLetter

Depends. Did his mom set the fire?

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Murder, Boogie Wrote.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That is basically *always* a bad tactic unless you are asked for your opinion.

My wife, when she was in her mid-twenties to early thirties, sometimes had absolutely ferocious PMS. I mean standing in the bedroom raging at me, clearing the top of her dressing table of everything above the glass top with one swipe of her forearm that bounced her jewelry box, perfume, and make-up off the wall in sheer anger. We eventually found out that B vitamins were of great help to her at such times. I don't remember if it was B6 or B12, and it really does not matter. In any case, it really did help.

The problem was that I had to be delicate with my approach. If she blew up and I went and got her some, she was liable to slap them out of my hand and snarl at me. It was very easy for it to come across as my minimizing whatever had made her blow, that I was saying that what bothered her wasn't important, that it was really all about her B vitamin count. This was... not a productive approach.

Eventually I learned to let her blow, drain off her head of steam, explain to me what I had wrong and what I should do to fix it, and calm down. Then while we're watching TV, I'd get up during a commercial, bring her a couple of Vit B pills and a glass of water and put them on a coffee table, and then watch TV without ever even looking at her. I'd feel the heat of her scowl as she examined my face for any trace of a grin, then she'd down them and still give me the gimlet eye for a while.

You live and learn or you don't live long, you know?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Presuming this is a real thing, per YF and others, and not some kayfabe Facebook nonsense.

Interesting thought exercise in any case.

9. I'm sure this fake ...

This is the family's first child and her mom wasn't there to help? Assuming the MIL wasn't allowed.

Our first child; my MIL, and my mom both came for two week shifts each to help out. My MIL, who lives 20 minutes away, moved in for those 2 weeks.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Clue number one that it may be a work: she makes up a throwaway username because her husband reads this and doesn't want the drama.

Regardless of the username if the husband reads this, he is going to know that this is his wife.

11. PCLoadLetter

We made a point of not having mom there to help when our first was born. We didn't want the "help."

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's one sign.

Now, maybe he'd be more likely to notice the thread in the first place if he saw his wife posted it, but yeah, she didn't do much to keep him from identifying her, or him.

But, there are other red flags.

Grandma lives four blocks away. In the burbs, four blocks can be a quarter mile. Did grandma walk to the daughter's house, pick up the baby, and walk home?

Did she grab diapers? Did she grab some breast milk out of the fridge?

If she wasn't walking, did she drive home with a four week old grandchild, who wasn't in a car seat? (I think we can safely assume she didn't have a car seat in her car.)

What was the weather? Was it warm enough for grandma to walk four blocks, at night, with a four week old?

Was grandma's plan to sit up all night holding the baby? That's a shitty plan. Since this is her first grandchild, I'm guessing grandma didn't have a crib set up in the spare room.

And, if she was just going to sit up, holding the baby, why bring her to your house? Just sit in her room with her.

On first read, this story gets you all worked up. But, I think it was designed to go viral, and someone is laughing to themselves that it did.

bigpern23 and SFIND like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted