1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

For me it would Ricky Steamboat, just because he's my favorite wrestler of all-time.

And that's too bad about Paul Jones, Steamboat's long-ago tag-team partner. I mainly remember him as a manager in the 1980s, especially during that Road Warriors-Powers of Pain feud. I believe he had quite a feud with Jimmy Valiant right before that.
    Plus, Jones picked a heck of day to pass away; that's like the wrestling version of Farrah Fawcett's death being overshadowed by Michael Jackson's.

John B. Foster likes this.
  2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

DDP ... for all the good he's done for people post-wrestling.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

His death will not be a good thing. It will be ... a bad thing!

4. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I love these "behind the curtain" things WWE does every so often.

For the life of me, I don't know why Gixx didn't stick. :-D

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Fun read for you all.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

So, I talked to Cody today.

First off, he's a great interview. Very candid and profound about the business. Total class act. Dude is dealing with a stinger and still had time to talk with me and deal with that pain.

I asked him about Bullet Club, his dog Pharoah (sort of the ice breaker), All-In, the Florida swings being special to him and I did ask him about the blond hair!

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

We've talked to Cody a couple times since the "went pro" (after he first broke in, when his legendary high school coach retired, and before his first hometown show with ROH), and he's always been a good guy to us. Just don't give him the "beating a dead horse" questions.

My mouth dropped to the floor when he name-dropped us (and the editor a step before me) when the did Jericho's podcast alongside high school rival Xavier Woods.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I didn't give him the "beating a dead horse" question.

I asked him if he though ROH was in a Golden Age of sorts right now. He was hesitant at first to say it because he knew he'd get murdered by the online trolls that were there when Bryan Danielson was wrestling in front of 20 people in a gym in W. Va. etc. etc. etc. but he did say yes, he thought ROH was in a Golden Age, especially with guys like Jay Lethal still reinventing himself and inventing moves.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now that I thought of it some more, another guy comes to mind: Howard Finkel.

How often, when we hear the name of a city in our heads, we hear Howard say it?

He will be a tough one.

John B. Foster and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  10. John B. Foster

What did he say about the blond hair if you do not mind me asking?

11. John B. Foster

12. John B. Foster

[​IMG]

Always loved this photo of The Fink.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted