1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Seeking Sports/General Assignment Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jake Dowling, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Jake Dowling

Jake Dowling New Member

Date Posted April 10, 2018
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary $20,000 to $25,000
    Website http://www.theeveningleader.com

Description:

We need a sports/general assignment journalist with design skills to be a part of our news team. The ideal candidate will be well versed in AP style, InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and will have some experience in page design. While we are willing to train, a working knowledge of these applications is desired. The primary duty for this position is to cover New Bremen and Minster sports as well as a collegiate summer baseball team. Both schools have highly successful sports programs. In addition, some news writing responsibilities are a part of the job, including at least a couple of monthly school board/council meetings.

Candidate should be capable with a digital camera, flexible and willing to be part of an upbeat and service-minded group of people. If this paragraph describes you, send a letter of introduction, writing samples and resume to: Jake Dowling, Managing Editor, The Evening Leader, 102 E. Spring St., St. Marys, OH 45885 or via email to editor@theeveningleader.com. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.

The Evening Leader is a daily newspaper published Monday through Saturday. St. Marys is located 20 minutes south of Lima and an hour north of Dayton.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. awriter

awriter Active Member

Just an FYI: You misspelled your paper’s name in the first link. You have “theevenignleader.”

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

$20-25k a year? You've got to be kidding me. I realize it's a small paper, but still.

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I can personally vouch that Jake is a great person and the Evening Leader puts out a good product. This would be a good spot for any new graduates. Plenty of stories to pursue in Minster and New Bremen.

Best of luck in your search, Jake -- and congrats on the promotion!

5. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

It is an entry-level job at almost $10 an hour. Wish I had made that at my first few jobs.

6. sj-esquire

sj-esquire New Member

But in a one-man sports shop where you also have to help out on the news side, it's more likely he's working closer to 60 hour weeks. And if you're making $20K a year at 60 hours, that's more like $6 an hour.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

We need a sports/general assignment journalist with design skills to be a part of our news team. The ideal candidate will be well versed in AP style, InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and will have some experience in page design. ... In addition, some news writing responsibilities are a part of the job, including at least a couple of monthly school board/council meetings. Candidate should be capable with a digital camera, flexible and willing to be part of an upbeat and service-minded group of people.

The New Journalism: The more you do, the lower the pay!

Tweener and Liut like this.
  8. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

$10 an hour would infer it is an hourly job, thus qualifies for overtime (providing the company doesn't jerk the new hire around). So that $10 an hour would go up (to $15 an hour for overtime?) if indeed it was 60 hours a week. And when I broke in, I had to either have or quickly develop those specialty skills. The news work will make the hire a better journalist.

9. Slacker

What did "infer" mean at the shop where they broke you in?

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. DrummerWrites

DrummerWrites New Member

As defined here: Definition of INFER

I said "infer" because the listing says "$20,000-$25,000," which could make it a salaried job. I don't know. Thus the use of infer because my original point was, while it does sound like a subpar salary to most, to state that it isn't a crappy hourly rate to all.

11. Slacker

"Imply." Check your AP Stylebook.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Man, imply vs. infer. On the SJ boards! Rerun, but felt like a new show.

Draft saved Draft deleted