1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Number of MLB stadium you've seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RonClements, Apr 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Puked in the parking lot at 3 Rivers Stadium before a Dead show thanks to a ganja goo ball that had peanut butter. Ended up not seeing the show and hung out in the lot that night.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

LOL
    Thanks for sharing

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a lot of the new ones, but my list of those that have gone away is rather lengthy:

Existing:
    Wrigley
    New Comiskey (can't bring myself to call it Guaranteed Rate)
    Fenway
    Camden Yards
    Marlins Park
    (Tropicana Field trip planned for next month)

Former:
    Old Comiskey
    Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Landshark/Sun Life/Hard Rock
    Busch II
    County Stadium
    Arlington Stadium
    Memorial Stadium (Baltimore)
    Veterans Stadium
    Jack Murphy/Qualcomm
    Atlanta-Fulton County
    And two that usually surprise people: Olympic Stadium in Montreal back in the Dawson/Raines/Carter era, and old Municipal Stadium in Kansas City at age 7 during one of the A's final seasons there.

4. RonClements

Thanks to a nice, long Blue Jays homestand in May, we're going to enter Canada through Maine and drive the Home Run On Wheels RV through Montreal and then down the St. Lawrence River into Toronto. I've never been to either city and definitely looking forward to it. We'll definitely do a drive-by of Olympic Stadium.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then-Pilot Field, which opened in 1988, was designed by HOF (now Populous) and was the template for the new wave of throwback MLB ballparks like Camden Yards, etc., that signaled the end of the cookie-cutter multi-purpose stadium era. It's a wonderful triple-A facility. The related story in the link on architect Peter Nowak is fascinating.

Sean Kirst: Buffalo's Pilot Field, an urban ballpark vision that swept nation

RonClements and typefitter like this.
  6. RonClements

We're actually going to a game there in late May while on our way from Toronto to Pittsburgh.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's still there? Do the Alouettes play there? Do they use it for anything else?

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The Alouettes play at McGill University. They only use Olympic Stadium if they host an Eastern final or if Montreal is selected to host the Grey Cup.

They were forced to play at McGill for a playoff game in 1997 because U2 had already booked The O. But the smaller stadium made for a more intimate atmosphere and the team credits that move with saving the franchise.

Two decades later, Alouettes thank U2 for saving the franchise

RonClements likes this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Impact also play select matches there, and that’s where the Jays finish up the preseason.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Impact? That's a team name?

That might be the worst I've heard since the all-fat-guy intramural basketball team I played on in college. We were the Gravity.

Draft saved Draft deleted