1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southwest Airlines emergency landing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskgrunt50, Apr 17, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

VASP remains the worst airline I've ever flown, and I've been on Aeroflot.

The weird thing: I did the World Cup in Brazil and was super scared of all the domestic flights I'd have to take. But the one thing that actually worked well during that tournament were the airlines. TAM and Gol were great. I probably took a dozen domestic flights, and they were all on time, with good planes and good service. VASP was a poor representative of the Brazilian airline industry. I'm not shocked they went under.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But she wasn't good enough for the Air Force, and it took the Navy almost a year to accept her. Now the Navy just loves her being known as a "former Navy pilot," even though she apparently left the military because she wasn't getting meaningful flights.

playthrough likes this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fairly hot in that photo. Maybe it's the flight suit. A solid 5+

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In the 1970s? If not, you don't knowwwwwwww what you missed.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never been a flight that dropped suddenly like that, but I was on one that had to divert to a different airport and make an emergency landing because of a problem with the hydraulic system. I've never been on a quieter plane as we made our descent. No one said a word. We landed to a whole bunch of a emergency vehicles lining the tarmac. I was going home for my grandfather's funeral and all I kept thinking was my mom is going to have to bury her father and me within days of each other. (Drama much, Dyno?)

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I might look 88 years old, buddy, but I'm half that.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t have been able to deal with not knowing what happened.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I was on a flight that was about 3 seconds from landing on the runway when the pilot suddenly went full throttle and did a go-around. Nothing shaky, but that jet rocketed up and away really fast. Incredible feeling, in retrospect. Didn't get a chance to ask what happened while exiting, but it had to be something involving another jet and that runway. Or maybe my pilot had the wrong runway?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like another day in the life of the politics thread.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When does he meet with - or even acknowledge - James Shaw, Jr.?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I just knew this would be the response.

Had he acknowledged this crew prior to this announcement?

I can’t wait to see the response when Shaw is Trump’s guest at the next State of the Union. I wonder if the Democrats will stand and applause when he’s introduced.

Draft saved Draft deleted