1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that there are a few sentences in the Starbucks' managers manual regarding bathroom access, loitering and nonpaying customers. And calling the cops.

So in addition to the crisis management value of the pre-emptive chainwide shutdown, there's actually a need to change corporate practice here.

2. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

I may have missed something but why aren't the cops taking a lot of heat, too? Once they arrived and saw the situation wouldn't the only reasonable response be to tell the Starbucks manager to get stuffed and leave? Yeah, I know, cops and black people, but still.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Philadelphia Police got out front of it early and pretty well.

Police Commissioner Ross did a good job in handling the Starbucks incident | Dom Giordano - Philly

That said, they're still getting roasted elsewhere, and have plenty of other problems. Like this:

www.fox29.com/news/sources-philadelphia-police-investigate-death-of-hr-mcmasters-father-as-suspicious

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I once needed to meet someone at a Starbucks, but got there way before the other person. Before sitting for an extended time at a table without ordering (I don't remember why I didn't want to order early), I asked someone behind the counter if it was OK. She said that the policy is never to confront a "customer" even if he sits there all day without buying anything.

7. Guy_Incognito

I was just thinking that B&N is different. I never just use the bathroom, but if I had more time I could imagine going, reading and leaving. Just don't bring the books to the bathroom.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You forgot the "never confront a white/asian/latino customer."

10. Guy_Incognito

That's why you order first and pick it up on the way out.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

God I love white privlege, second only to my love for abortions.

12. Guy_Incognito

She said it's the policy and the conversation was about their internal policies. My love for my privlege is right behind how much I love it when you of all people start lecturing about racial sensitivity.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted