1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Barbara Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

A much younger Mark Knoller of CBS News.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Twirling Time likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that. Great story.

I also loved the title (subhead, actually) of the blog, which is by an off-the-boat Irish guy who runs an Irish bar in NYC and is evidently a big baseball fan: "The craic of the bat."

For those who don't know, "craic" is Gaelic for fun, good times, etc. And it is indeed pronounced "crack."

Perfect.

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

So I'm going to offer a slightly different take here. Barbara Bush was fine. She seemed like she was basically a decent lady whose privileged background helped her become an effective partner to a very distinguished and high-profile businessman/appointed official/high-level politician and certainly looked and played the part of America's grandmother to the extent anyone needed her to. But it feels like the hagiographies I'm seeing are a little over the top. By many accounts, she could be quite nasty to those who weren't her social "equals." There were her ugly comments about Geraldine Ferraro, for example. Then there were the grossly obtuse comments about things "working out well" for the "underprivileged" Katrina refugees in the Astrodome. Of course she seemed basically to have a good set of values and she seemed pretty real in certain ways. So I guess what I'm saying is she deserves the same tributes any other well-known personality gets when he/she passes on, but the pile-ons and hatred directed at people who are saying, "Hey, wait a minute, let's not get carried away here..." are a little much.

I think a big part of this is that the Republican party has gone so far off the deep end in so many ways, and our politics have sunk so low, that turning George and Barbara Bush, who were perfectly fine, into George and Martha Washington, is an easy way for those on the left to try and flash their bipartisan cred without actually really needing to be bipartisan in any meaningful way. Kind of like supporting Jon Huntsman or John Kasich in the GOP primary while knowing you'd never actually vote for either of them in a general election. Or lambasting Trump for saying stuff about John McCain, who you did not support for president at the time.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I wasn't excusing Roger Stone in my above post, by the way. Referring more to FB pile-ons I've seen on anyone who hasn't exalted Barbara Bush as a saint.

11. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Here's the deal. I'm sure Barbara Bush could a bitch when she wanted to be. I've met very few Southern women from her generation who didn't bare their claws when the need arose, and I include my own dear mother in that regard. And I'm sure she enjoyed her share of liquor from time-to-time. She was human; we aren't all completely pure in every way. But, according to almost every account, she was a lady in every sense of the word and deserves to be remembered as such. One of the most rock-solid adages in the lexicon are to never speak ill of the dead, at least not until a respectable amount of time has passed.

murphyc, Chef2 and Liut like this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

She also has something in common with way too many of the Greatest Generation: She raised a bunch of spoiled, entitled, greedy kids. I'm sure she was a nice lady, but that's the primary part of her legacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted