1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Raise $100 million so you can buy the paper and provide it some financial runway, then we can talk.

You need to spend some money on the front end to have any chance of making it on the back end.

3. MileHigh

And they acknowledge that in the story. This is a nonstarter.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does the Post do everything there? Gather, circulate, design and print? Is the Post used by any other DFM properties for necessary functions?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should’ve read the link. I hear about all these people who want to buy papers, but what then? It frustrates me, that’s all. John Henry, one of those vaunted saviors of journalism, bought the Boston Globe and since then has sliced about 20 or 25 percent off what already was a thin newsroom. And they have an ongoing mini-disaster with their new print site and had a disaster changing home delivery providers. The Washington Post does have an apparently successful strategy, but only maybe four other news outlets in the country can replicate it.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am 99.99% sure that the DFM properties in Loveland, Boulder and Longmont print in Denver. Those papers also provide some content for the Post, such as CU football.

I read the Ken Doctor blog and he said the profitability of the Post is debatable. The Post is not that profitable but that a lot of overhead from the other papers and the corporate offices which are located in Denver is charged to the Post P@L.

7. MileHigh

Yes, Loveland, Boulder, Longmont and the Post are printed at the Adams County plant. Design for all papers is done in Boulder. There are some DFM execs still in the downtown building, but all news operations are out of there. The Post did rent some space in another building for downtown reporters, so essentially it has a Denver bureau with headquarters in Adams County.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

A Denver bureau. That's awesome. Best way to describe this shit show.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. MileHigh

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Holy crap, that was a great read.

12. MileHigh

The editorial page director of the Boulder Daily Camera, Dave Krieger, the former Rocky sports columnist, tried to do a Denver Post repeat by writing an editorial for April 15 on private equity owners of the Camera/DFM.

The publisher spiked it. So Dave posted it on a different platform.

Private equity owners endanger Daily Camera’s future

Today, Krieger was "terminated."

Draft saved Draft deleted