1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I think Curmudgeon was referring to Mike Sherman in the "new editor" reference.

Likewise, I don't see the Times hiring from the outside. Erlendsson was a stringer for the Times before moving to the Tribune, and I seem to recall there were some hard feelings. Cummings has made no bones about his dislike for the Times over the years, and people over there know it. Whoever replaces Smith will be on staff already; my expectation would be Mooney.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Ah. I see Editor and think EE, not SE. I've heard they're in a hiring freeze. Not sure whether that's written, unwritten or just common sense at this point.
    Topkin probably has been there close to 30 years, but I'm still a little surprised he didn't jump. Baseball travel has to be one of the cost-cutting factors they're considering. Hockey travel would be next. But then what? The Times doesn't have close to $3M in payroll fat anymore. This is going to be ugly. I know that rings boo-hoo hollow to Trib folks, considering what happened to them.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

You answered your Topkin question yourself. He's been there a long time. They fought to keep him when this offer came so why leave? He's probably thinking his next move will be retirement. Athletic TB is going to be an interesting litmus test for its sustainability in some markets. I don't think it's going to draw great numbers.

4. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Would The Athletic ever venture into primarily college-oriented but large cities like Austin, Tucson or Columbus?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Cleveland site also covers Columbus, right? Maybe Austin/San Antone and Arizona at large could work?

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

With the consolidation of The News & Observer and The Herald-Sun sports staffs, the Triangle area of North Carolina would seem to be a market that would work for The Athletic.

7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

The Athletic Cleveland and Cincinnati sites use Blue Jackets and Ohio State coverage.

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Another suggestion/complaint: shouldn’t I be able to pull up box score from game story? Although maybe issue is that there don’t appear to be any regular season baseball box scores at all?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think they are AP subscribers, thus they would not have access to the box scores.

It doesn't bother me. I can find that in five seconds on my phone.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

True—although I’ve been hoping that they turn it into a one-stop app.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can see that. Maybe that’s their long-range plan, but for now it seems like all they care about is stuff you can’t find elsewhere. Which is a solid building strategy with limited funds.

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Boston launched today.

Draft saved Draft deleted