1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Cuts at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Mar 7, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Quite certain it's not simulcast on radio. Wingo and Golic are on at that time.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Maybe? I don't know. Isn't there Golic's show?

I'm trying to imagine how Beadle would play on the radio. She's basically a MC whose go-to opinion is disdain for...whatever it is she has disdain for.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't be talking shit 'bout those Spurs!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Somebody really needs to create an "anti-sports" show that turns the entire idea of "takes", analysis and speculation on its head.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Fuck Those Takes!" hosted by Cody McClure

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’d go for a talk show with the talking heads wired up and the listeners/watchers could “buzz in” sort of like this:

7. DanOregon

I just think the last 10 years or so - or forever... - the discussion of sports on TV has taken on a fake gravitas that it doesn't merit. Jordan or LeBron is given the same level of seriousness as arguing the Peace in the Middle East.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Greenberg is a talented guy. Golic and Wingo are a disaster that have me listening to Esiason (or Morning Edition) until I can get my podcast ready. And speaking of disasters, our next guest is never a disaster... [/Wingo]

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

It's already out there, it's called "Pardon My Take"

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Greenberg strikes me as an OK host, a guy that moves things along and gets the promos right. Rose and Beadle are serviceable but not appointment TV for me. I just fail to see how that trio becomes a smash hit -- especially if it turns into another show where other ESPN talking heads are cycled through ad nauseum.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. DanOregon

Odd that it is EP'd by Bill Wolff of Maddow and The View fame, though he did start out at ESPN. I think you listen or watch these shows because you tend to be doing something else (driving to work, working out) - a three-hour TV centric show of news, opinion and analysis with a cast of people who have been around. Simulcast radio shows I get - and sure, no one is expected to watch all three hours, but what is going to be the visual element? It isn't they are going to have a "breakout star" take the airwaves by storm. I think someone like Bobby Bones would have been a better choice. He has hosted sports talk, most of his career has been in radio (country and rock) and probably has a more diverse resume to pull guests.

12. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Kind of odd those hosts getting paid that much. Not like an all-star cast. I like Jalen Rose and Greeny as a host, but those salaries seem, uh, excessive.

Draft saved Draft deleted