1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Currie just picked up Stephen Ames' cat from a greenside bunker, and punted it Ray Guy style.

Liut likes this.
  2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

You could be speaking about URI or UConn and be right in both instances.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Last time URI made the NCAAs in back to back seasons a high-profile coach left, the next four years were the worst four-year span in program history and didn't get back to the NCAAs for 17 years.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In theory, URI isn't a bad gig for somebody who's about 30 with coaching ability, all the ambition in the world, and few scruples (hey, it's Rhode Island). In other words, the next Calipari or Pitino. Those guys are out there, the tricking is finding the one with the right (?) stuff.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

You can say the same for Providence, unless you luck out with a hometown guy who can coach, like Cooley.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tubby Smith hired at his alma mater, High Point.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, Chris Mack to Louisville and Jeff Capel to Pitt. I sense the Panthers' recruiting is about to have a mysterious uptick.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm okay with this hire. Much better than what we were hearing in recent days, jabronies like Mark Schmidt. Sounds like all of the players who were planning a mass defection are upbeat as well.

The question will become was ultimately worth hitting a $10 million eject button on Stallings. Time will tell on that.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Oklahoma fired him in 2011 after an impermissible benefits scandal."

Of course the recruits are excited. Is Pitt a Nike school? If so, more stuff! Truckloads of shoes for recruits, like Marvin Bagley received.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Much better. Pitt and University-6 did much better than I figured. I'm baffled by Mack's departure from alma mater to a place with better resources but massive NCAA clouds overhead. One element perhaps to be seen is an opaque reference by Paul Dougherty about off the record chat with source who suggested issues at Xavier.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted