1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, another 1,711 calories and 5.32 miles in 75 minutes.

Dick Whitman and HC like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Went out and did 16 miles at an average 7:15 pace this morning. Marathon goal is a 7:14 pace. The one second off wasn’t a fitness issue. It was a pacing and hamstring caution issue.

I’ve got to say it felt good for my confidence to go out and lay that run down.

Songbird likes this.
  3. Songbird

6 more days in the book: 415 minutes, 9,101 calories, 29.64 miles.

Last 5 weeks: 2,054 minutes, 43,687 calories, 143.78 miles.

I should be close to dipping below 260. I'll weigh in at the end of the month.

HC and Dick Whitman like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

A comfortable 23 miles today @ 8:16. No hamstring issue whatsoever. The big test will be my next speed workout, but hopefully by taking a day off, mixing in a couple treadmill runs in the warmth and taking the easy days easy, I’ve gotten myself through it. Marathon is May 6, so it’s crunch time.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I set up a day next month when I’ll be able to do all three phases of the triathlon together, albeit in reverse order.

I’m running a 5k in the morning that just happens to be 6 miles from my rec center. So I’ll ride there, run the race, ride back, and then swim as long as I can.

Should be a pretty good barometer for how ready I am for the real thing, at very least.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

17 miles today at an average pace of 7:03/mile. I wish it had been a little easier, but hopefully being able to maintain that pace for that distance is a good sign with the race just over a month away.

7. Songbird

My outside-right ankle bone is bit achy but still got thru another 75 minutes today.

8. Dick Whitman

I'm really happy I seem to have nursed myself through that left hamstring flare-up. That made me very uneasy.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I saw a bunch of people on a flight headed for some kind of ultra marathon. One of them was a guy, maybe 5' 2", I would guess 110 pounds, max. I was like, that guy is born to run. He must feel basically weightless, surrounded by stampeding elephants.

Your absence of injuries makes it seem as though you're born to run, too. You're lucky.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If I could burn calories listening to podcasts and watching highlights related to MMA, jiu jitsu and muay Thai, I'd be getting myself in incredible shape.

11. Dick Whitman

I know. One of the great regrets of my life is not realizing in middle school or high schoolish that I had some ability, and nurturing it back then. Instead, I languished on the bench on the baseball team.

12. Songbird

I think the ESPN'ers are shining us. I'll have my latest 6-day total tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted