1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This administration? Led by the guy who called a free press "the enemy of the American people?" I wouldn't hold my breath. He's probably loving it.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Times really needed the cash. At one point they borrowed hundreds of millions of dollars from Carlos Slim.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. MileHigh

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why is that woman in front holding someone's head like a racquetball racket?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Place I worked took a picture like that - it grew kind of depressing to look at a few years later (and this was before layoffs).

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. MileHigh

Denver Post sports staff by Masters Sunday will be down down to five reporters and one columnist. Three taking the parachute to The Athletic that's coming to 5,280. Good luck to them.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Better hope the Nuggets and Avs miss the playoffs.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Welcome to the future of sports journalism. DFM runs a cluster in Colorado. They own two papers in Boulder County, where CU is located, and one in Loveland, which is basically a sister city of Ft. Collins, where CSU is. I think sports desks will be essentially combined. There will be one sports editor. The smaller papers with cheaper staffs will cover the nearby colleges. When extra bodies are needed for a playoff run, etc. then they will be brought in from the smaller papers.

Given staffing cutbacks what is the point of having separate desks if there is not enough staff to put out a differentiated product at the paper? I would guess the smaller papers are trying to cover preps. But if Denver is down to five that is one reporter for NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. A newspaper can draw a lot more clicks by using staff to run additional Bronco stories than running a prep story.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    MileHigh likes this.
  11. MileHigh

Post Broncos Writer Joins Site She Saw as Trying to Destroy Newspapers

In the span of three years, the Post has lost seven Broncos reporters. Only the most important beat at the paper.

Mike Klis: Goes to 9News
    Lindsay Jones: Goes to USA Today
    Jeff Legwold: Goes to ESPN
    Joan Niesen: Goes to Sports Illustrated
    Troy Renck: Goes to Denver7.
    Nick Kosmider: Goes to The Athletic
    Nicki Jhabvala: Goes to The Athletic

And, of course, Woody Plaige took the buyout and is now writing for the Colorado Springs Gazette and sometimes on Denver7.

Add in Jason Blevins and we had double the staff in San Bernardino when I left there.

Groke was on the Rockies, leaving Patrick Saunders.

I happened to look at the printed version yesterday as I was waiting for lunch. It's a disaster.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It's amazing. Good for those three getting out and getting something really good it seems before the ax could fall. I sort of thought, bet that wasn't in the DP's plans. But then those making the decisions probably don't really care one way or the other if the biggest beat gets covered or sports at all.

So who covers the Broncos now? Who covers anything? Will more sports staffers go? I can hardly even think of sports reporters that are left there and I at least keep my eyes on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted