1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Newspapers have been gutted so much, I don't even know how much of a tax break they would get if they "donated" the properties to a foundation.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

This is a brutal blow to the Post. Jason is better dialed in than anyone when it comes to the ski industry and the outdoors business/sports corner of journalism, things, which, ya know, might matter to the Denver Post. And he's a great guy on top of that.

Of course, none of that matters even a little bit in this f-ed up business. He's just another name off the books.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"These are exciting times for readers of the Post ... "

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Guess I'm just surprised a guy covering ski resorts for 20 years plus hasn't taken a PR gig.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Not everyone would find PR fulfilling. Maybe he’s self aware.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don’t think this is true. I believe their stated strategy is to hold on as long as it is profitable — which it still is — and then discard the remains either in a garage sale or by closing up shop entirely.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Ken Doctor says he has seen sale brochures put together for sellers. DFM has sold mot of their papers east of the Mississippi, particularly in Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The tax benefit could be substantial. A paper can write off the original purchase price. McClatchy sold Minneapolis for 500 million after buying it for 1.5 billion. The stated reason was to get a 350 million dollar tax benefit.

That is the same reason the New York Times essentially gave away the Boston Globe. NYT paid 1.2 billion and sold it for 70 million. They needed the cash from the tax benefit. I don't think the company wanted to sell the Globe but felt it had to.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Major, major loss for the Post -- not that it matters at this point. Agreed, he was on top of covering the ski industry and he's a top-notch writer.

Pilot likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If the Times had held onto the Globe for a couple more years, they would’ve gotten more than $70 million just for the Globe’s land (16 acres IIRC). Property prices on that side of town have been growing at insane rates for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted