1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tempo Books series on the NFL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Mar 22, 2018.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else read these books from the late 1970s and early 1980s? They were written by Bill Gutman. They featured four biographies of NFL stars at the time (Winslow, Dorsett, Montana, Theismann, Campbell, Haden, etc,) They appear to have been things you would have purchased off the Weekly Reader series in grade school. I have a small collection of them (aka three) that I got from my older brother.

Google diving shows he also did similar series for the NBA and MLB.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No but in the 70's my favorite books were "Star Running Backs" or "Greatest Quarterbacks" or "Star Players of the MLB" etc that were fabric covered "hardbacks (cardboard)". Loved those books, how I learned of Johnny U, Otto Graham, Jerry Kramer, Stan Musiel, Hank Greenberg, Mickey Mantle, Duke Snider, etc.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

@qtlaw, I still have those football books. Even have another book on Earl Campbell. They're about as good as you'd imagine.

qtlaw likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's what I'm thinking of, I had a couple. One of them featured Joe Ferguson, Ron Jaworski, Steve Bartkowski and someone else who I can't recall.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gutman's apparently still cranking them out. Did one recently on Aaron Judge:

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

My favorite sports books were where they gave you a scenario from a game in the past and you had to decide if you were the coach or manager what you'd do. I read and re-read the same scenarios over and over like the dullard that I was at nine years old.

DO YOU:

A. BRING IN ED ROEBUCK?

B. BRING IN KARL SPOONER?

C. LEAVE JOHNNY PODRES IN THE GAME?

D. HAVE DON DRYSDALE RUSH THE OTHER DUGOUT AND KICK MICKEY MANTLE'S ARTHRITIC KNEES?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The ol' Punt, Pass and Kick Library. Still in my mother's basement until a flood (followed by asbestos abatement that required a hasty cleanout) claimed them a few years ago.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bummer. I've still got some on my bookcases, boys sadly never were interested.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think I had those too. One was called"The Big Play."

I think it's buried up in my parents' attic somewhere.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I read a bunch of those NFL quad bios.

[​IMG]

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

Wow, that is a hell of a foursome. Going to guess this came out after 1972 because that was lamonica’s last year as a starter and bradshaw’s first blush with greatness.

Also, kind of rare to see a pic of Bradshaw getting a snap from Mansfield and not Webster. Yes, he spent five seasons with Mansfield, but he and Webster are sort of attached at the hip in nfl lore.

12. cyclingwriter2

Have one of those for the Super Bowls, one through 14, I need to read it again to see if I can choose the best plays. Because like you, I only did the same plays over and over again.

Draft saved Draft deleted