1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

UConn's athletic budget is around $80m. That's got to be close to the top of the AAC.

He could certainly have done worse.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think it's a good move for both sides. At the same time, I think it does show that the UConn gig ain't what it once was. Hurley has done well at Rhode Island, but his is not yet the resume you'd think would be sufficient for a program that has won multiple national titles. That's generally speaking. If the Big East were still in business as it had been, the job might have lured bigger names.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

Sounds like he'll fit in quite nicely in that school, that state and that conference. Now if he can learn to stand in the schoolhouse door as well as he stands for our flag, he'll be a real Ole Miss man.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Dan Hurley's decision: Pitt, UConn or Rhode Island? In-demand coach has tough choice

Nice analysis today on Hurley's situation. If he were all about the Benjamins or anxious to get out of Kingston, he'd have taken the Rutgers job two years ago. And both UConn and Pitt are messes deeper than simply replacing a coach who didn't win enough games.

Personally, I think he leaves if the right job is there. I just don't think either of these is it.

5. tapintoamerica

My whole perspective on this has changed. I thought he had taken the UConn gig, but now I read that he is undecided. But most importantly, his AD at Rhode Island is named Thor Bjorn. How do you say no to someone named Thor? Would you not fear a thunderbolt striking you down from on high as you head from the Ocean State to the Nutmeg State?

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Calhoun came from Northeastern. The old NAC was about two steps behind the A-10.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can see passing on Pitt and UConn. I guess the question is what would be the better job he could hold out for and make full use of his experience in the Northeast? Syracuse?

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Tom Crean-to-Georgia feels like just a money grab... like Charlie Weis-to-Kansas in football.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

People forget that the Pitt job was considered a good job 24 months ago before Scott Barnes doled out a $10 million patronage job to his old buddies Kevin Stallings and Todd Turner. You have a recently-opened arena and you're in a P5 league. If it was the black hole everyone makes it out to be Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon wouldn't have won and won big there for 15 years. You'd think the place was Rutgers the way some talk about it.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

True. But Calhoun built this into a national power. Amazing work. Also benefited from association with others and ESPN TV back in the day. That part is gone. Other multiple champions hiring in recent years have generally gotten their hires from other top leagues.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is this pretty much "it" for coaching vacancies? Sure the Louisville gig will start some dominoes falling...but the P5 conferences were pretty light - none from the Pac12, Big 10 or Big 12. Figure Pitt and UConn will hire active coaches, the rest mostly assistants.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Kansas State people are torn.
    On the one hand they enjoy winning, but on the other hand, they want Weber the hell out of Riley County no matter the cost.

Draft saved Draft deleted