1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final gasps for an HBCU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 15, 2017.

1. albert777

albert777 Active Member

Not sure, but of the white athletes who do attend HBCUs here, the majority are in baseball. Interestingly, Alcorn State made news a few years ago when they hired Jay Hopson, who is white, as their football coach. He inherited a program that was in shambles and built it into a contender in the SWAC before leaving for Southern Miss two years ago. So far, his successor, Fred McNair (Steve's older brother and the original Air McNair) has kept up the forward momentum.

expendable likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Then he compared himself to Michelle Obama.

Virginia Union athletic director denies ‘undisciplined thugs’ comments

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When Danny Rocco took over at Liberty in 2006, St. Paul's was the first opponent for a Thursday night home game. Since it was the long run-up to the season opener, I trekked down to Lawrenceville to meet with the St. Paul's folks and check out the campus. Tiny, run-down place. They did end up having a pro on that team, though, defensive back Greg Toler.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When N.C. State got turned down by their first dozen or so choices for a basketball coach and settled on Sidney Lowe there was the issue he never finished his degree. He somehow quickly got one from St. Paul’s even while working full-time in Raleigh.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And Chaney's counterpart as the women's basketball coach? C. Vivian Stringer.

Moderator1 likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I covered an HBCU for a year early in my career. It had a little talent but clearly not enough to compete at the highest level and barely enough in its conference.

The best showing in that year was by its baseball team, which was about 50-50 black/white but most of the white guys were hometown guys. They made the conference tournament.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

9. jr/shotglass

10. jr/shotglass

11. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

I had to look up the USCAA. Not only had I ever heard of it, it appears I've heard of maybe 3 of its members. Who knew there was something below NAIA?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted