1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You are also unlikely to suffer injuries doing those things. On Friday, I dislocated one of only two fingers I hadn't yet broken or dislocated. Now the middle finger on my left hand is the only unsullied one. The finger went back in nicely, and I'm fine. But since turning 40, I've had a broken and separated shoulder, two broken hands, a bunch of broken and dislocated fingers, and a torn groin. At some point, it's going to be too much to keep playing. But I have dreams of playing on the same competitive team as my youngest son, which means hanging on for eight more years.

I sometimes wish I dreamed of playing in the same orchestra. But sports is the common thread, so sports it is.

2. typefitter

I don't know how to explain my pre-tear signs, except that I must have had a small tear, and I could feel a persistent but not very bad pain in a specific spot. Like, I could put my finger on it. That, in hindsight, was the start of a tear. Then I played through it instead of letting it heal, and it became a complete tear. Then my balls were somewhere in my stomach. So that's what you should be concerned about, I think. Not an overall ache. A specific sore spot.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's what I mean. All things being equal, I would love to spend the 90 minutes to two hours I spend running every morning working on guitar or learning how to paint or writing a novel. But, first, I'm competitive and, second, mastering "Friend of the Devil" would not help me to not die.

4. Dick Whitman

I had a shoulder blow up on me about 10 years back. Which sucked, but at least I know what an injury is like.

5. typefitter

Roger that. Good luck with it. Hope it's just a tweak and not Shut Down City.

6. Dick Whitman

Feels a lot better today, but I’m still shutting it down until at least tomorrow morning.

7. typefitter

I don't think that counts as "shutting it down." Most people would call that "Tuesday."

8. Dick Whitman

Seven miles on the treadmill today at 6.5 mph and 3.0 incline. It felt a little tender, but not like it was going to pop or anything. Hopefully I’ll feel even better tomortow.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I didn't want to work out today. Didn't feel like it, planned not to.

Then a half-hour ago I said, fuck that and did my day 63 reps. I was pretty much a slug all day, but I feel much better now.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And that's what you always keep in mind: 90 percent of any great workout is just showing up. *

* Not quite true, but close enough

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Last week was a lost week, but I think it may have helped energize me. Still trying to work out like this is 2009. Not, uh, working out too well.

Monday I put in 30 minutes of incline walking and did 200 crunches.

Yesterday I did what is becoming my regular cardio workout -- shadow boxing, jumps and stair stepping.

Today I was trapped inside the house with the kids so my choices were limited. I did get in 200 push-ups before work.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's 10 till 5 in the a.m. Sleepy tired. But I made it here. Just waiting for the gym owner to unlock the door. Shit ain't easy some days. But I'll be glad I came at 6:30.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted