1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Austin bombings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Twitter is a fucking scourge.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Again I ask: Why would a terrorist get a sympathetic portrayal at all, and why would a shooting victim's marijuana use be brought up? Even one time?

The idea that we're surprised a "nice" white kid would be a terrorist is *exactly* the problem.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

It's not a "sympathetic portrayal." It is a Tweet relaying comments about people who knew him.

4. Dick Whitman

It absolutely was a huge leap, Rick.

For the record:

I don't have a single other handle here. Not one. I signed up as PW2 to comment on the "Rolling Stone" story when I was suspended for this, that, or the other, at some point.

It's not my M.O. to attack people's families or personal life. It never has been. It never will be. I hate when people do it. I constantly crusade against ad hominem attacks.

Find someone else to direct your accusations at. Don't drag me into it.

5. RickStain

So are these journalists or stenographers?

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

That's what Rick is saying, too. But I think it would be misleading to convey that these guys were all clear ticking time bombs. It's important information, or at least a data point, to know that terrorists like Tsarnaev or the Austin guy or shooters like Stephen Paddock in Vegas, can seem like ordinary folk.

For the record, Rick and I have long been in agreement that these things should receive minimal, if any, coverage. Coverage seems to spawn copycats.

8. Slacker

Write it with a heavier hand, then. Leave out any trace of sentimentality. They derailed hard and took it out on others.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Imagine writing a huge feature on someone like Tsaranev, or making them your Area (Insert Sport) Player of the Year ...

... and months or years later the ends up being a mass-murdering monster.

10. Slacker

Aaron Hernandez.

11. RickStain

The only headline that should have been attached to a story talking to people who knew him is "Terrorist trained with proto-military group"

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Future questions for prep features ... "So, what sort of things would your Google search history show?"

Draft saved Draft deleted