1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have a year's worth of Texas Monthly issues stacked up near my desk that need reading. Just threw another on the pile a few days ago. Yet I haven't called to ask them to go to every other month so I can try to catch up.

Hermes and Della9250 like this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I just canceled. I got a postcard saying my subscription would automatically renew at $55.44 for 39 issues when it expires in April. That’s too much for a mag I often don’t even open.

I called the 800 number, hoping to just let the subscription run out, but that option on the call said it would end automatically, although the card read otherwise. I just cancelled immediately. I guess I won’t get the swimsuit issue.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I flew recently and picked up at the airport the SI with the Bishop cover story about a week in the life of NFL injuries. The entire issue was only 64 pages, but it was very good. Had a big section on the year in media and a story about the Nuggets that I read even though I don't care about the NBA. It got me thinking I should subscribe but then I remembered they barely print a magazine anymore. Bummer, as they still produce a good product even on a non-weekly basis.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You can buy it at the supermarket newsstand for $4.00. You save $51.44 and you get to "read" it before your mailman does.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Did they cut circulation down when they went to the new format with issues? SI used to be easy to find in a few of my stores around Michigan and Ohio and now you can't find it much.

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Primo opportunity for GateHouse to buy SI and strip that rag down to a newsletter.

8. DanOregon

I really can't think of a magazine publisher that is a "fit" for either Time or SI. Most are very "niche" publishers.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not being a weekly anymore is making for strange issues. They did their usual cover collage for March Madness, except the issue came out before Selection Sunday. There was still a foldout bracket, but it was blank.

10. DanOregon

I always thought their March Madness preview was pointless since most subscribers didn't get their issue until the games had already tipped. Loved the cover montages though.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

1200 layoffs. Just heartbreaking.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I just signed up for a website call Texture. I get all Time/Life products, Business Week, the New Yorker and approximately 200 other magazines for $10 a month. How is any magazine going to make money if they are essentially giving the product away? This weekend I need to cancel five subscriptions that I now get as part of this bundle.

My brother is a loyal print guy. He subscribes to the Denver Post for $17 a month and Time for whatever. I told him that he can pay $100 for a Kindle. Then he can subscribe to the Post on-line for seven dollars a month and Texture for $10. He gets a lot more material for slightly less money every month.

Draft saved Draft deleted