1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hinchcliffe has done Honda ads in Canada for a few years but I am not sure it moves the needle on his popularity here. He is great on TV but isn't as well known as the top NHL guys or probably even tennis players like Milos Raonic or Genie Bouchard.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indy media have helped carry Mark Miles' briefcase on the sponsor search, I've seen headlines like "IndyCar seeking $20 million sponsor deal." Sure, and I'm seeking a Brazilian supermodel for companionship.

franticscribe, wicked and maumann like this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

IndyCar moves entirely to NBC and NBCSN for 2019. Every race, qualifying and practice session -- including the Indy 500.

Without knowing the financials this seems like a good move.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  4. playthrough

It's amusing reading some comments today (not many, but some) saying that the 500 belongs on ABC because it's tradition. Well, that tradition hasn't done the race too many favors in recent years.

The old inkstainer in me wonders if IndyCar will get any kind of online coverage on nbcsports.com, given that Nascar is blanketed with Nate Ryan, Dustin Long, et al.

maumann likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is the 500 on the big network?

6. PCLoadLetter

I'm sure it will be. The races are split between NBC and NBCSN. No way they put the 500 on the cable network.

7. playthrough

Definitely. NBC is packaging it as part of its "championship season" with Kentucky Derby, Players Championship, etc.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A coup for the Peacock. Indy has always seemed out of sorts on ABC, tradition or not, since it has no other IndyCar. Same with the Masters on ESPN. No other golf is on the mothership ... except two days and the par-3 toooooornament of Augusta. Not that it matters since it's all CBS announcers and production the first two days except for SVP in Butler Cabin.

maumann likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Indy Car - and CART - used to be a big deal here in Canuckistan, at one time I recall there were races on the sked in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver, but Rogers has marooned broadcasts of the series on Sportsnet 360, a channel not included on most packages and the only way to catch a race is if it shows up on ABC. TSN, on the other hand, shows complete NASCAR and F1 weekends on its channels and probably gets plenty of viewers from fans interested in those series.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

If Wickens is the real deal, it's going to be a fun year for Racing Fans Up North.

Huggy likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When Player's was involved with racing Canada was fertile ground for drivers with Moore (RIP), Tracy, Tagliani, Villeneuve, Carpentier. Wickens had a great run in the opener and Claman DeMelo was strong in Indy Lights last year, these guys and Hichcliffe give Canuckistani race fans somebody to support.

12. PCLoadLetter

Sadly, Hinchcliffe has the worst nickname in the history of racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted