1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Washington (NC) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Michael Prunka, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Michael Prunka

Michael Prunka New Member

Washington Newsmedia LLC, a media group in eastern North Carolina that publishes a daily newspaper, bi-monthly magazine and several niche publications, is looking for a sports editor to join its award winning staff.

Our one-person sports department is responsible for coverage of all community sports, from youth leagues to high school, and outdoor activities including world-class hunting and fishing. Community sports is our bread and butter, but coverage also includes nearby East Carolina University.

Qualified candidates will have strong sportswriting and photography skills, knowledge of AP style and thrive under daily deadline pressure. The person in this position will oversee the sports section from start to finish, organize coverage plans, generate content and approve designed pages. Heavy night and weekend work is required.

Opportunity includes competitive salary and benefits package and great quality of life in a beautiful East Coast waterfront community on the banks of the Pamlico River.

Send resume, work samples and references to ashley.vansant@thewashingtondailynews.com and tell us why you're right for the job.

---

Posting this because it's my current job and I'm on the way out. I've been here 2.5 years and loved it. Small staff, but we make it work and have won NC Press Association Awards. There's a lot to do as a one-man department covering three public high schools, two private schools, middle school and rec sports. East Carolina coverage is more of a perk. I lived in Greenville, so that made it easy.

This was a really fulfilling job. The magazines and other special sections we do let me branch out some. There are the typical annoying sports parents and coaches, but so many people are so appreciative of what we do here.

Please DM me with any questions.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Home of the Pam Pack. And that's Little Washington to any Down East native. If you can spell -- or pronounce -- Chocowinity, you're in the running. If you can catch your breath long enough to look around, it's one of the prettier small towns east of 95.

3. Michael Prunka

There ya go! Beautiful place, indeed. Seems like it's building up slowly, as well. Also, with ECU 30 minutes down 264, any younger folks will have a place to party for a weekend.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Is Snookers still open? Love the cannonball embedded in the side of the house along the river.

5. Michael Prunka

I'm not sure about Snookers. As for the cannonball house, love that. The Cival War history in this town is great.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Is Blackbeard’s Steakhouse still open?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My best friend from college lives in Little Washington, and at one point worked at the WDN. I've visited several times. Nice little city.

Snookers (or Snookies, I can't remember) was that downtown bar right next to the bridge over the Pamlico.

Draft saved Draft deleted