1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Exactly. Match play means lose and go home.

Nor does it make sense to me that a player can show up this week, go 0-3 and earn Ryder Cup points.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Stephen Ames just read this and kicked his cat across the room.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Into a greenside bunker.

Batman likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

With a buried lie.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You'd appreciate this -- back in my full-degenerate days I'd pick four guys at the Match Play with decent odds and hope for a long ride. I had both sides of the final in 2005, DiMarco vs. Toms.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tiger did lose in the first round as a No. 1 seed in match play one year, too.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why the format was changed. Give the favorites more chances to dispose of the lesser-knowns. Obviously anybody in the field of 64 is a good enough player to beat anybody in one 18-hole match. Three is tougher.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I like the Match Play, though it's now oddly placed two weeks before the Masters. I get the pod system -- get all 64 players on the course for three days. That's TV and sponsorships. Someone has to pay the bills. And I'm OK with how they draw players into it instead of pure line seeding.

I also like it because it breaks up the weekly grind of stroke play. It's different. Nothing wrong with that. I just liked it better in February. Just doesn't seem conducive to gear up for Augusta.

Chef2 likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    Tough spot for it. I would guess that most the people that play Bay Hill don't play Match Play. Wednesday start for Match Play. And I'm guessing that even though it's close, it probably hurts the field for Houston. I doubt most wanna play 3 on a row before The Masters.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

OK. But for the integrity of the bracket, there's no need to fudge the early-round pairings. Until the Tour at least puts the right four players together, it's somewhat of a farce.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's all correct, and all why it's a dud. Imagine if Virginia got to play UMBC, Creighton and Kansas State in a pod before facing single elimination.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The other format was killing it for the networks and the Tour. Stars were losing on Wednesday and going home. At this rate, you still get Phil, Jordan, Rory and DJ for three days.

Draft saved Draft deleted