1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'F--- Sister Jean'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, the Internet is not a soft place. That’s a strawman. McClure’s full of it. Ask any female sportswriter. Ask the psycho who posted his murder of former colleagues on a TV remote.

Second, you know your friends. And there’s probably only a few of you. By writing that on Twitter, it’s equivalent of walking downtown, in a crowded sports bar, and yelling it at complete strangers, and expecting, what, for everyone to get the inherent humor of that moment?

You’re liable to get your ass kicked.

And if you said it on the radio, you’d be fired - in an instant.

The Internet. Soft. You buy that argument? Cmon.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this stuff actually comes down to Internet culture and our decreasing capacity for recognizing that a human being is a human being. I don't think the Internet has gone soft. I think the Internet has made real life hard.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My take on the quote is that the Internet - mostly fueled by mob mentality and a top-this outrage culture - fosters outrage where previously there would be eye rolls.

David Haugh is really this offended by a profanity?

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Couple pages back I called bs when he said the internet is soft. Guess a lot of people agree with McClure because didn't see anyone else dispute it.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Kind of think he is offended by profanity directed at a nun. Agree whens you said if I'm watching the game with my buddies one of us may say something like that. If you're watching the game with your wife and kids or mom I wouldn't think the chatter is the same.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Your take on the quote is charitable.

I agree that Twitter culture has an outrage problem. I’m not sure this guy, after writing that, is the man to make the argument

8. Dick Whitman

My wife would laugh. My wife is one of my buddies.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As would mine. Of course, we both know plenty of people with easily bruised sensibilities. World's full of them. Internet comment sections and Facebook are full of them.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Conversely, everyone thinks they have a sense of humor.

They do not.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Money quote

12. Dick Whitman

As a matter of general principle, I agree. I mean, do you think some of the wars that take place here would escalate the way they do if it were two guys on a pair of barstools?

But I think there is a difference in kind between, say, the kind of snarking Deadspin and the like do on people and what happened here. The guy didn't fail to recognize that Sister Jean was a person. He thought that no one in their right mind would think he was seriously cursing her. He was play-acting. It was the kind of line Vince Vaughn or Adam Sandler would say in a movie. Cursing a sweet little old lady. Har, har, har. I have to guess that David Haugh's feelings are more bruised over this than Sister Jean's.

Draft saved Draft deleted