1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recording a phone interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jasonjones, Mar 18, 2018.

1. jasonjones

jasonjones New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm doing my first phone interview with a book writer.

His agent contacted me to write a feature article based on the interview specifically with a Q&A section within said article.

Is it necessary to ask permission at the start of the interview that he's being recorded?
    Or that kind of goes without saying?

I don't want to sound like an amateur by asking, but also want to cover legalities.

What is the norm in phone interviews?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Phone recording rules vary, depends on what state.

jasonjones likes this.
  3. jasonjones

jasonjones New Member

In California?

So how is phone interviews transcribed into an article then?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How are

And don't ask permission but note that you're recording the conversation

Liut likes this.
  5. jasonjones

jasonjones New Member

What do you mean?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

California is a two-party consent state, so I think he has to ask the subject.

Just say "Hi, this is Jason, if it's OK with you I'll be recording our conversation today for accuracy. My first question is . . ."

Once you're done recording, either type up the transcript yourself or send it off to a transcription service.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Have never done the transcription service. Is it worth it, financially?

I love long, engaging interviews for feature stories, but goodness after 20 years in the business do I hate transcribing those 30-minute interviews.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the publication and the story. If you're being reimbursed expenses, I would always send out transcription work.

I use Rev dot com. It's a dollar per page, and worth every penny.

Record the interview on my iPhone, upload the file to my desktop, send it to Rev. Get it back in a few hours. Couldn't be simpler.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I was a reporter in another life, I used to do phoners all week long for a column. As someone pointed out, it is a state by state thing as to whether one-party consent or two-party consent is necessary legally. I always started off by saying, "I am going to record this if it is OK with you. It helps me make sure I don't miss anything and that I quote you accurately." I was dealing with Wall Street security analysts for the most part, and 99 percent of them had no problem with it. If they said no, I just took notes. Regardless, I think being up front and asking is the best way to go -- regardless of whether one party or two party consent is the law. Most people -- especially in a relatively innocuous situation like your interview -- will say it is fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted