1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing -> tronc

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Posted this first on the DFM thread, but it belongs here instead...

Layoffs today at the Tribune, but nothing officially announced to employees. Oh how nice!!! :mad:

[​IMG]

2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

This:

Followed by this:

3. zachpm

zachpm New Member

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Paper has been a shell for a while, padded out to minimal size with "tronc" content from L.A. and other cities in the chain.
    In the span of maybe two years, I started a subscription four times out of desire to support newspaper journalism.
    Cancelled it four times, too, when I could no longer tolerate the biased agenda of its news content.
    Gave them four strikes. Now they out.
    I wouldn't watch games, either, where the referees or the umpires were in the bag for only one side.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with journalism anymore. It's all about lining the pockets of a few top execs and treating employees like total scum. LOL at the HR departments. They really do a fine job for the employees ... I mean preventing lawsuits for the suits. It's all so sad.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Tronc operating profits for 2017 were up 13 million dollars even though the fourth quarter was down by 14 million dollars. Tronc assumed control of the New York Daily News on September 3. So the Daily News is a huge drag on profits. I thought the strategy in buying the Daily News was to establish a New York foothold in order to build a national digital paper. But selling Los Angeles blows that idea up. How long will Tronc carry it?

Advertising revenue was down double digits at Tronc in 2017 so if that trend continues, and I think other chains are seeing that is, Tronc may need to cut losses.

Other problems at Tronc are that print advertising was down 20%. Digital subscribers are at 320,000 (I think that counts LA) for nine newspapers, generally in huge markets.

On the conference call management talked about how strong the New York Daily News digital operations are. I pay 99 cents monthly for my Daily News digital subscription. So if that is a strong showing what the hell is a weak showing?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  8. zachpm

zachpm New Member

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Bronco77 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The link says that the Tribune just sacked their Washington reporter and their Blackhawks and White Sox beat writers. While Tronc might try to have some kind of national bureau provide Washington material for the Tribune surely they will continue to staff the local NHL and MLB teams.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Comments are gold, again, though - especially those pointing out the Sun-Times shouldn't be so gleeful about the Tribune's cuts, especially considering it sacked the whole photo dept. a few years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted