1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Why are so many walk-ons white?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 15, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always thought the Title XI should be extended to all extra-curriculars, not just sports. The arts, student government, that sort of thing. It's great that women get the opportunity to play sports, but I also imagine there might be a great musician or student leader who could make a bigger contribution to the campus community than a second-string catcher on the softball team.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I believe it does (Title IX, that is, not Title XI)

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Title IX absolutely applies to everything:

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just heard "it is walk-on time for Clemson" and looked up to see some white guys entering the game. Gave me a chuckle thinking of this thread. Looks like three white guys are on the floor for Clemson now.

5. Moderator1

And no sooner, Auburn dumps the bench and three white guys come on in.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The band is co-ed, college sports are not. Never played an instrumemt, other than a little piano, so I'll have to check with my cousin who is a professional musician. I'd think the band directors
    at most colleges pretty much go with the best kids, girls or guys. You think they need to allocate a certain number of female spots?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Syracuse had to use a walk-on in the last few minutes today, some guy named Bayer. Guess what? He's white!

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Look for the trend to continue after what happened to UVa.

9. Moderator1

I swear I heard the TV guy say the names of Auburn's crew were Spencer, Patrick and Cole. I'm like cripes, do I even need to look up?

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No - I just meant apply "Title IX" scholarships to all extra-curricular activities not just sports.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bayer was a walk-on. Now on scholarship. And he ended up making some pretty important plays.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Syracuse wouldn't be Syracuse without one white guy who looked like he walked right out of the trailer park onto the floor. It never made sense to me that Ferrell on Notre Dame wasn't at Syracuse.

Big Circus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted