1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words we never need

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

One that's not only wordy and redundant but also a cliche is "going forward." It's all over the place in all types of copy, sports included. As in, "Wade will be the Heat's backup shooting guard going forward," which was a line I encountered in my final days at my former shop. It's like saying, "Smith has started the past seven games going backward."

And here's one I came across in news copy the other day: "Admission to the St. Patrick's Day festival is free of charge."

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Dog8Cats likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

“First ever”

It’s come up 8,753 times since UMBC won.

First is first. Just say first.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pussycat

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Dude.

Get help.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I always try to interchange team name and nickname, and avoid possessive nicknames at all costs.

Hate referring to a team as "it," so I change it to the nickname so I can say "them."

Tweener likes this.
  6. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Anyone who uses going forward should be forced to immediately turn in their writer's card.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I will remember this advice going forward.

8. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

The Tigers took to the field

9. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

ESPN's reference to UNC-Duke basketball as "Rivalry Renewed" ... They play each other twice a year, usually at least three times ...

Rivalry renewed is when OU and Nebraska, or UT-A&M start playing again in football

10. albert777

albert777 Active Member

When writing track and field stories, I usually wrote, "in a time of xx.x seconds," or, "2 minutes, 30 seconds," and, "with a leap/throw/distance of xx feet, xx inches," on first reference, on the assumption that readers are stupid, especially where track and field are concerned.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Tweeted out"

SnarkShark, MNgremlin and Slacker like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted