1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 college rings postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Damn right.
    Well done.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

To answer a question from earlier in the thread, UMBC is in the America East. And the comment about Virginia losing to a team from a conference nobody could name was actually pretty accurate: I was proofing the sports pages last night and the AP writer who did the UMBC-Virginia game story said the Retrievers were from the American East Conference.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not licensed. Appears to be carefully done. Doesn't use UMBC's marks. And rather swiftly done, I might add.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I’m not seeing the objection here. He was only saying “that’s why they play the games.”

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

St Mike of Duke is wearing enough flair to be a Milwaukee Deputy Sheriff

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or an assistant manager at Chotchkies.

Batman likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

“If you haven’t been in the arena,” etc.

I took it as a swipe at sports writers.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What was the quote? I can’t bring myself to watch it.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It was a swipe at everyone, cuz they were getting mocked from all sides even before they laid the turd.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I want to cringe whenever I hear "Cinderella", but the Baltimore Sun pulled it off about as well as it can be done.

U
    Must
    Be
    Cinderella

Words were not stacked like that in the print edition. It's just that it took me about two hours before I even noticed the capital letters are UMBC.

The bad news: It was standard centerpiece looking instead of "Holy shit! The biggest fucking upset in history" looking.

I'm assuming it was done as a quick replate just to make the handful of papers that were remaining on the press run. But a shame that a real "scrapbook" moment couldn't get scrapbook treatment.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They said this during the broadcast toward the end of the second half. (Raftery IIRC.)

Draft saved Draft deleted