1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The BBQ thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Recession Special!

$5.89!

(I'd give Papaya King the edge for flavor, but the uptown Gray's is strategically located for that pre- or post-opera night out at Lincoln Center.)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was every bit as good as it looks. New York Strip, and I used a coffee rub I had bought at a spice store at a Chicago mall. Opened the vents all the way on the Weber and cooked it about 5-7 minutes per side to medium/medium rare. The beer was an Oak Aged World Wide Vanilla Stout by Dogfish Head.

Damn good meal.

3. Dick Whitman

Perfection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SpeedTchr and expendable like this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did you cook it with the Oak Aged Vanilla or you drank that? World Wide Stout is great. One of the places I go to 4 packs are $37. Still have 2 Vanilla, but think they're still
    in the stores. Still have a Worldwide and a Chicory from 15. Dogfish probably has the most good beers that are 15% and over. It's a cool place also. about 15 minutes from the
    ocean in Rehobeth Beach, Del. Owner is a nice guy also, took a pic of him with two buddies at Extreme Beer Fest in Boston last month.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Drank it.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Nice. Was thinking that's a little bit of a pricey beer t0 cook with, but you're an aristocrat so wasn't sure:D. Worldwide Stout may be my favorite
    unflavored stout. Higher Math may be one beer that needs to be aged. Worldwide Stout, like Bourbon County Stout, can be aged, but you can
    buy one and drink it right away. Got a few Higher Math when they came out a couple years ago. Drank two and they tasted sour and spoiled.
    A year later they were nice.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You got bones in my hash brownies.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I let go of my dumpster-diver* 18.5-inch Weber a few weeks ago after noticing some pretty serious corrosion. The weather (and the schedule, and the budget, etc., etc.) have kept me from replacing it, so I've been making do with a little portable propane grill.

But today, oh glorious Friday the 13th, a promo code from a local discount retailer hit the inbox, and in a skinny minute your humble correspondent was out the door. A 22-incher -- the classic! -- on sale today only for $56. The damn things are $99 on Amazon and at Walmart!

*Five or six years ago I snatched it off the curb, where someone had left it for garbage pickup. Its grids were trash, but when I replaced them it was perfectly fine.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Just recently discovered the amazement that is smoked salt and smoked rice. Another huge layer of flavor for what can be ordinary kitchen staples.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

My gas grill crapped out so pulled out the knock off Weber a relative gave me.

Ordered some Kamodo Joe XL lump charcoal. I used regular charcoal a couple of days ago and want to try a cleaner burning charcoal.

Dunno if KJ is the right product, but it’s the one that could be delivered the soonest via Amazon.

Anyone have tips or experience they be willing to share? Use a chimney to start? Doing chicken and burgers.

Any help appreciated, I thank you.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Get a chimney and use it. Makes charcoal fire super easy. Burgers taste better when charcoaled (my opinion) and so does chicken. I have a rotisserie attachment to my Weber and charcoaled rotisserie chicken is awesome. Will admit charcoal doesn't give the super sear for steaks and grilled fish like tuna you get with propane.

Machine Head likes this.
  12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have a chimney but in looking online with the KJ I see some use starter blocks, which I also ordered from Amazon.

I can’t leave the house for a couple more days, otherwise I’d look for smaller lump charcoal. I’m at the mercy of home delivery.

Draft saved Draft deleted