1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Raiders also on brink of releasing Crabtree, per Schefter.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Packers signed Kyle Fuller to offer sheet. Can’t imagine Bears won’t match it.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't. While Pro Bowls are an imperfect indicator of how well an offensive lineman plays going to 10 straight is a hell of an accomplishment.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If anyone can explain why the Jets gave up to Indy about 14 draft picks to move up three (3!!!) whole spots in the first round besides "of the Jets did" I'd love to hear it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If the QB they draft turns out to be a star, it will be worth it. If.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Texans sign safety Tyrann Mathieu to 1-year, $7M deal

Looks like Tyrann Mathieu ended up taking a cut in pay after all. The Cardinals cut him after he refused a pay cut, but he ended up settling for a one-year, $7 million deal with the Texans.

I didn't get to see him that much in 2017. I know he's had some injuries, but Mathieu is only 25 and he can be a big-time playmaker at safety. I'm surprised he only got a one-year deal. As a Steelers fan, I'm disappointed they didn't cut Mike Mitchell to make room and get in that bidding.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

It's all about the quarterback. I actually understand why the Jets did it, but the Colts have to be loving the opportunity to load up in this year's draft.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It makes no sense, unless they think they needed to beat someone to the punch. As it stood, the five teams ahead of them (Browns twice, Giants, Colts and Broncos) probably weren't looking for a QB with their picks. That would have made them very amenable to trades if they can slide down a handful of spots and still get the guy they want because other teams are drafting QBs.
    There appear to be four top-flight QB prospects. If you think only one or two of those are actually players you want, then it makes some sense to move into a position where you should be assured of getting one.
    Still, two decent second-rounders this year and what'll probably be another next year is a high price to pay. That's one of those trades the Colts' GM probably had to check his caller ID to make sure he wasn't being pranked.

Also, a couple of interesting Jets draft trends:
    • The last offensive player the Jets took in the first round was Mark Sanchez in 2009.
    • Since 1997, the year after they drafted Keyshawn Johnson No. 1 overall, they've only used their first pick on an offensive player three times — WR Santana Moss in 2001, OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson in 2006, and Sanchez in 2009. They've picked four others when they've had multiple first-rounders, for a total of seven out of 24 picks.
    • If they do take a QB in 2018, it'll be the fifth time in six years that they've drafted one, and the seventh time since 2009.
    • Three of the six drafted QBs were picked in the first or second round (Sanchez, Christian Hackenberg and Geno Smith).
    • Of those six QBs they drafted, two (Hackenberg and Tajh Boyd) never played a game for the team. Two others, Bryce Petty and Greg McIlroy, combined to play in 12 games.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don't see why the Browns and Giants wouldn't still be in the market for a QB.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's beneficial to both teams. The Colts might still have a franchise QB and they desperately need to invest more parts around him.

The Jets looked at the board and decided that they had to have one of the three. They rated all three of them worthy of building a team around and they couldn't afford to see if one of the three would fall to them at six. Looking at it on the surface that means that Baker Mayfield probably didn't cut the mustard for them.

Browns could take a QB or Barkley.
    Giants could take a QB or Barkley or trade with a team like Buffalo for a significant draft compensation (probably both their firsts, a second and their first in 2019)
    So the Jets are guaranteed to get one of the QBs they want.

Before the trade the Jets had to worry about the Giants, Colts and Broncos making deals with teams behind them to jump ahead (notably the Bills and Cardinals). Now they are in a spot where something they want will fall to them.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I don't think the Browns are looking at Tyrod Taylor as a long-term guy. Giants...eh Eli is 37 years old. They might like Davis Webb. I think they are going to get a major trade offer from Buffalo or Arizona to move back.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I don't think the Giants will take a QB but they need one, and as mentioned, if they don't want a QB, that pick is anyone's for the taking. The Browns wouldn't surprise me at all if they took a QB. I assume it would be at 4, but, again, can't take that chance. I'm fine with the Jets maneuver. They just have to make the right pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted