1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 college rings postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That was probably worse than cornholed. Like getting cornholed and then a facial.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has anyone pointed out that UMBC beat more ACC teams than Pitt? If not, I will.

Cosmo likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What was the score?

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't think there's a big push to get a Bennett back at Madison - even before last night.

The Bo Ryan Tree had more far-reaching success and was more entertaining to watch than Dick Bennett's five years. Saul Phillips could get the first call. Not Bennett.

Bennett's 2000 squad made the Final Four largely because they didn't need a coach. Kelley/Kowske ran the team and they had a shooter in Jon Bryant who hit everything. They ran into some poorly-coached teams on their run.

However, the UVA we saw lose to UMBC is the Wisconsin we saw lose to SW Missouri in 1999 and Texas in 1997.

I don't know how much Tony Bennett carries from his father in coaching. At Wisconsin, by late February every year, the players had tuned Dick Bennett out. He would yell and demand perfection for three hours every day. His misery became everyone's misery.

I don't see Tony as much of a yeller but if he has the same outlook on the pursuit of the perfect game, that can get grating on young adults.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Watching Mizzou-FSU.

Cuonzo Martin looks like he's spent seven hours at an Irish bar after just missing the bonus quota for selling Hyundais.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did I really just wake up to that score of 58-44?

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think Saul Phillips was on track to get that Wisconsin job at one point, but 67-60 at Ohio without even sniffing an NCAA tourney means he’s more likely to be cut loose when his contract is up at Ohio after next year than he is to be the Badgers’ head coach.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

In the cold light of day, and I’ll shut up about this soon, of course tap is right. Bennett is just about the best representative of UVA out there. There’s a reason they put him on camera after Unite the Right. And I don’t think it’s like him to leave after something like that. He would think that was scummy.

I still don’t understand what I saw. Hall and Guy standing around passively all night. Wilkins and Salt getting the ball way off the block with no guards near because Hall and Guy were hiding on the baseline. Wilkins getting beat over and over on defense. I think they bought into their hype, stumbled on offense and panicked hard, and that sitting around all day waiting for the last game didn’t help. Lost their minds on defense and rushed on offense. It didn’t hurt that Lyles hit about 10 heavily contested runners, but they completely went away from what they did all year.

I can’t get over the contrast with the previous week. They basically got round of 32, sweet 16 and elite 8 wins over the course of three days. I think they psyched themselves out. I’d understand it a lot more if they’d limped into the tournament.

Most of us won’t see another 16 win in our lifetimes unless UVA drops one again.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was no "panic" ... this is a hardened program that plays Duke and UNC every year so they're not panicking in GO-time and especially not to Baltimore County. Now, you can break down the tape. But panic had nothing to do with it.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Songbird, I watched almost every minute of that team this year. Once they went down, they played fundamentally differently from what they did all year. Those wide-open drives to the basket weren’t there all year long. You can call it whatever you want, but their mindset changed.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just because.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...by-bowden-fsu-wouldnt-win-title-in-sec-051315

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Over 52,000 as of this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted