1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Network" has, over the years, become far too uncomfortably close to real. I really liked "Rollerball" when it came out, and yeah, it's pretty dark.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Spielburg's "Lincoln" a couple of nights ago for the first time on Netflix. It is so very well done. The plot is not what you'd expect, being basically the history of how Lincoln logrolled, twisted arms, and distributed patronage jobs to get the 13th Amendment through Congress, establishing the emancipation of slavery in law before the southern states returned to the union at the end of the Civil War. Damn good performances, a number of vignettes that show Lincoln the storyteller, etc. Sally Field gets several good scenes and Daniel Day Lewis is amazing.

****Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler****

As the movie nears it's end, Lincoln is headed out to his carriage to go to Ford's Theater, and I thought to myself, "Well for once Spielberg got through a movie without putting children in peril". The scene shifts to a theater stage with the actors singing, and gradually I thought to myself, "Whatever this is, it isn't "Our American Cousin", and about then the camera cut to Lincoln's youngest son in a box with his minder, watching the play, as a man sprints out onto the stage and shouts "President Lincoln has been assassinated!".

Fucking Spielberg.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know quite where to put this, but I figured people in this thread might be interested.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I thought this was Caan's best role ever (better than Sonny Corleone). So erie when I was what 15, so prescient today.

Liut and maumann like this.
  3. Another Infinity Wars trailer ...
    Yes, please!

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no.

Tom Hardy's idea of an accent is to render himself unintelligible.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A Wrinkle in Time is...not good. Aggressively irritating.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. He disappears into every role. You never watch him and think "That's Tom Hardy." He becomes his characters better than just about any actor working.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You spelled Christian Bale wrong.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They're both great.

HC likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He can become whoever he likes. I just want to be able to understand what the hell they’re saying.

10. Songbird

Watching the Hateful Eight ... I love Tarantino's movies ... but this thing is badly miscast far as I can tell thru the first 65-70 minutes. The British guy tried being like Waltz in Basterds and fails. Not sure I like Dern either.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seconded. Mind-blowing and compelling. There is something fascinating about a documentary that really doesn't know how it is going to end - or in this case where it is going - when they start filming.
    Most docs know exactly how they will end before they shoot and the goal is to get the footage to illustrate the point or tell the story. They better ones put it together like they are on a journey without a known destination - the rare ones blow you away.

"Weiner" the Anthony Weiner doc is like this. Let's just say it was intended to document his political comeback...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  12. Songbird

I enjoyed The Hateful Eight except for a small portion of it.

Is it top 3 Tarantino? In a roundabout way it is.

Basterds is 1, Pulp is 2 ... and 3 is the grouping of Hateful Eight, Jackie Brown, Death Proof, Reservoir Dogs.

Draft saved Draft deleted