1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor — The Daily Leader, Brookhaven, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Adam Northam, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Adam Northam

Adam Northam New Member

The Daily Leader, a daily newspaper in Brookhaven, Miss., is seeking a full-time sports editor.

The sports editor will be the lead sports writer, responsible for writing, editing, photography and the layout of the sports page. The sports editor will also manage, and help recruit, a team of stringers to assist in coverage. Opportunities for news writing are also available.

Brookhaven is located at the crossroads if Interstate 55 and Highway 84 in Southwest Mississippi, approximately 45 minutes south of Jackson, Miss., and a little less than two hours north of New Orleans. Our sports coverage area includes eight local high schools and one community college, all of which field multiple sports teams throughout the school year. There is never a shortage of sports stories to write.

The ideal candidate will have experience as a sports writer, either at a college publication or a weekly or daily newspaper.

Interested writers should send a resume and clips to sports@dailyleader.com.

2. Suggswriter

Suggswriter Member

Applied minutes ago. Job looks interesting.

3. albert777

albert777 Active Member

This is a decent little paper that knows what it can and cannot do. The SE there for years was a guy named Tom Goetz, who is a great guy. He retired a few years ago, but I think he still strings for them, so he's around to mentor a newbie. I've never spent much time in Brookhaven, which has a population of about 10,000, but the times I've passed through there it seems like a decent little city. The preps are usually competitive and the community college, Copiah-Lincoln, has one of the better all-around athletic programs in our league. One could do a lot worse as a place to get started.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Pronounced "Brook-HAY-ven."

That's all I got.

5. Adam Northam

Adam Northam New Member

I'm a redneck, so I say BROOK-hayvin'

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That's "Brook-HAY-ven, Miss-SIPP-ee," y'all.

7. Adam Northam

Adam Northam New Member

Actually, Tom does part-time work for another media company in town. I hired him when I was there. But yes, he's still a wealth of information and he shares with the noobs.

8. albert777

albert777 Active Member

My bad. I ran into him when we played football at Co-Lin last fall. I knew he had retired, and just assumed he was stringing for the Leader.

Draft saved Draft deleted