1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The GateHouse model in Columbia, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by swingline, Feb 21, 2018.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Of course, in the old days they never paid overtime either.

#neverletthatgrudgego

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

“We understand that you may be unhappy that we pruned some limbs, but we hope you will be glad that we are still here with deep roots,” Burton wrote. Six months later, Burton was “pruned” when he was replaced as publisher.

Most clever use of the word pruned ever. I was almost cheering when I read it. Classic.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Gatehouse model is inarguably bad for journalism. That said, it's more than optimistic to think that Columbia, Mo., could support two daily newspapers under any circumstances.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Missourian makes this a different situation. Students earn nothing while working there, and the editors are already employees of the university. It’s a special situation.

5. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

When I was at Mizzou years and years ago, the Tribune had its own pipeline to the J-School and made extensive use of students as part-timers. It was a great source of cheap, temporary reporters and editors for them. I don't see that mentioned in the article, so maybe students' role on the staff has diminished.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Also, the Missourian has a paid subscription of about 1,000. It's taken by the hardcore journalism junkies and professors around town.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Diminished, as in nonexistent. When I was there more than a decade ago, news and sports might have had an intern, but I don't think there were any part-timers from the J-school ranks.

One summer very long ago, I did agate and covered the local sports for the Tribune between semesters at Mizzou.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

That's weird. In the early 1990s, the weekend reporter on Friday and Saturdays was always a j-student. Or at least I was, as well as the two guys before me, and the two after. The agate guys in sports were always students as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted