1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People in Sports Revered in Death or Retirement Wo Were Jerks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 23, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then it’s hypocritical to name athletes.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Well, I haven't named any athletes.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Great contribution to this thread.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Never liked Isiah Thomas - he always seemed fake.

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bill Elliott. Michael Waltrip. Ken Schrader. Dale Jarrett was pretty unapproachable at the end of his career, but much better once he retired.

6. busch

busch Member

Talked to Bart Starr twice. First time was about 10 years ago, the second time about two years after that. He was an absolute asshole to me both times. Was really surprised because, from what others have told me over and over, he's a great guy. Either I got him on his only two bad days or I'm the asshole. I'd like to think it's the only two bad days explanation.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nope, completely real. A real asshole.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I recall in the wake of Pearlman's Walter Payton bio that Bears Nation lost its shit at the notion that Payton might not have been the best teammate, husband or father.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That is strange. Never met Starr myself, but everyone who has says what an incredibly nice person he is.

Only thing remotely controversial I've ever heard about him is that he won't sign generic autographs. He insists on personalizing them to lessen the chance they'll be sold for profit.

busch likes this.
  10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Earnhardt Sr. was the first person to come to mind when I saw the thread title. He was universally hated on the circuit, known as one of the dirtiest drivers out there. I mean, if you had to pick a villain of NASCAR prior to his death, he would have been named on nine out of 10 lists. But when he died, all of a sudden he became a hero. People started putting his No. 3 on their pickup trucks and he became a sweetheart of NASCAR overnight.

I don't know anything about him personally, as far as how he treated fans, but whatever his sins were in NASCAR people seemed to forgive him as soon as he died.

Side note, that's something that's always been a pet peeve of mine. I know it's part of it to point out the good things people do when they die/retire, but sometimes you just have to be honest and say that person was a jerk. I tell my friends and family all the time, when I die I want them to be honest at my funeral. If they hated me and only pretended to like me, say that. Don't make me out to be someone I wasn't. LOL

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

But he’s still alive, unfortunately.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Ha. I must've missed all the names you contributed to the thread.

outofplace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted