1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would the athletes do that?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why would you "make them pay" for college? You act like there is some magic cap, that the billions received in the two men's revenue sports has a limit whereby Alabama can't afford to pay tuition and a salary.

They can be paid with a W-2 (/crossthread) *and* receive tuition payments as well.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why can't they just receive the tax free scholarship, and earn extra money off their name, which would be taxed?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The stated tuition cost numbers for athletic schollys schools put up are BS. Those classes would meet and the prof would be paid whether one more kid was in the class or not. Typically they also use non-resident fee costs whether the player is in state or not. Actual cost of books from the school bookstore are about 50% of the retail price as well.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Potentially interesting twist: There is talk a lot of the relatively small sums, four figures and less, were Dawkins trying to claim fraudulent expense reports.

That would totally fit his history too. It is going to be doubtful the NCAA will prove much of this, even if it wants to. Not unless they got it on the wire taps.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sources: Wiretaps show Miller talked payment

FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone conversations between Arizona coach Sean Miller and Christian Dawkins, a key figure in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption, in which Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman DeAndre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, sources familiar with the government's evidence told ESPN.

---

In Miller's defense, DeAndre Ayton is definitely worth $100,000.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

PED’s and bribes? Arizona has already switched to the Olympic model.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, just guessin ...but is this "talk" originating from fanboy boards? I do get the potential incentive to exaggerate expenses, but why would anyone do so by making up fake illegal payments?

Seriously, how stupid would that be? If you're gonna make up false expenses, you'd try to do so in the most innocuous unnoticeable manner possible. Not by fabricating shit that could get you in super double extra trouble if noticed.

But, hey, a fun theory nonetheless.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  9. Jake_Taylor

I think it is on some of those boards, but I originally heard it from people at a couple of schools. Wouldn’t a few hundred bucks here and there for meals and travel be pretty innocuous for and agent? That kind of thing is illegal from an NCAA standpoint, but it’s not the reason he was arrested. This is also a guy who ran a $42,ooo Uber scam.

Either way, everybody is dirty and more and more will come out with the wire taps and testimonies. But I wouldn’t be surprised if these particular numbers aren’t a smoking gun.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All of this is humorous and entertaining. But I’m still asking, as I have since the FBI connection first came to light: What’s the crime?

service_gamer and lcjjdnh like this.
  11. Jake_Taylor

The reason the coaches and shoe guys are in jail is because they arranged bribes and kickbacks to direct kids in certain directions. That’s a crime because the schools get federal funding.

The irony is, to the FBI, the schools are the victims, but it’s simultaneously exposing their other dirty laundry.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There's also a lot of money changing hands without people paying taxes on it, which the Treasury Department tends to frown upon.

But I agree it's not exactly "crime of the century" stuff here.

Draft saved Draft deleted