1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Chain Restaurant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I used to go to Chili's when I lived in Houston. I go to one here and it makes me want to barf. I know from good Mexican food, and they don't serve any. There are, however, a number of real Mexican and Tex-Mex joints here now. The problem is that the ones in the Anglo areas tend to start out authentic and over time everything starts to go Taco Bell. Luckily there are some real taquerias, where you go in and you're the only Anglo in the place and they have to send you the waitress that speaks English. I tend to leave those very happy.

I like Five Guys pretty well, but they're damn expensive for a burger and fries.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter is usually a "healthy" eater so she surprised me on my last visit there when I asked her what she wanted for lunch. Five guys, she said. Lots of their fries. There's one near her house. I stopped and got two burgers and two orders of fries and paid almost 24 bucks.

Food was pretty good. But yeah, that ain't cheap for a quick(ish) burger.

My son loves Jimmy John's subs. I got him a gift card for Christmas and you would have thought I gave him a BMW.

Tweener likes this.
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

When I go to Five Guys, I have to ask for the "tiny" fries twice, because they always try to upsell you on the regular size. Even that amount usually overflows the small cup they give you. (Plus, I like to eat some of them free peanuts too...)

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was she going on a cleanse?

5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Mine came from the Oak in Nashville.

Other contenders are chains Ruth's Chris, Morton's and Capital Grille, plus local faves Plaza III and Hereford House. But really, it's Oak by a furlong.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't care if it's Mexican or Martian.

Those chicken crispers are heaven.

7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

So I go to McDonald's today, my first time in a while. I started to get my usual, which is the Quarter Pounder with Cheese Meal (medium). However, I looked up at the menu and noticed they had a (premium) burger with bacon and onion straws.

Intrigued, I asked the cashier what was on this (premium) burger. She started pushing buttons on her touch screen, so I figured there was a way to pull up the components using her touchscreen register. She flopped around for awhile and got flustered. Not being a total asshole, I started to say, never mind. Eventually she had the good sense to ask a coworker how to pull up the ingredients on the terminal. The coworker kindly showed her which keys to punch and instructed her to read the ingredients on the top line of the display which she successfully did.

It was a pretty tasty burger. I would have preferred a traditional sesame seed bun rather than the poofy hipster one that has become de rigueur.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The best thing most McDonalds will do is serve food quickly.

You have ape shit kids bellowing, you know McDonalds will get them their food fast as fuck.

Five Guys is a thousand times better on food quality, but there are other perks to fast food.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

McDs is only that fast in the drive thru. That’s their priority. I don’t know of a worse fast food customer experience than mcds, generally.

They opened a Shake Shack near me. I went to 5 Guys then to SS a couple of days apart. It’s a draw

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The burgers are good, but what I love most is the copious fries they stuff into each bag. I might not eat it all, but there's always a hungry soul who would be grateful for the bag.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Might have already come up in this thread, but I was unaware of them at the time - Any Doughboys fans here? Fun little podcast about chain restaurants.

Draft saved Draft deleted