1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Washington can't / won't regulate gun sales. ... can banks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely to me.
    The NRA members I know are very staunch gun-rights advocates. I don't think they feel any shame about that, and I don't think they should feel ashamed.
    I also don't think any of them joined for car rental discounts.

I think if this is going to have any effect it will be because a large and public discourse that focuses on a growing unpopularity and disfavor of the NRA can give political cover to some electeds.

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Not familiar with this person but we may be getting enough now for a list

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yeah, the gun owners I know are utterly shameless about it. Americans, in general, are pretty shameless about just about everything. I mean, in the presidential election, tens of millions of people voted for a pantheon-level moron. We got the president we deserve.

4. CD Boogie

To fill the void, Hertz is gonna make an ad with OJ running through an airport carrying an Ar-15.

BTExpress and lakefront like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Once upon a time, long before you or I were born, the NRA was a grassroots organization that prided itself on its independence. Today, more than half of its revenue comes from from the gun industry. Which is why the NRA speaks for the industry, not the BS it tries to sell about representing individual gun owners, most of whom don't even support many NRA positions with regard to background checks, according to polls.

This is a subsidiary of the gun manufacturing industry in everything but name. It uses deceit to pretend it is something else. It has one agenda: making it so that the gun industry can manufacture and sell any weapon or accessory it can make money of off. All of that money from the industry isn't going anywhere, and it's obviously an industry that can't be shamed.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Y'all aren't that old. The NRA changed from that old focus to the current one in 1977 in what's been dubbed the Cincinnati Revolution.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Great podcast about this from "More Perfect". The Gun Show - More Perfect - WNYC Studios

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

With a bayonet affixed, right?

10. CD Boogie

The juice’s weapon of choice is reportedly a chef knife.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's really a better fit for a Ginsu ad.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted