1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FBI arrests "several NCAA assistant basketball coaches"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Frank Martin's on that list? I'm gobsmacked.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cleveland State is on the clock.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As a Carolina grad, I don't know whether to be amused or sad to see N.C. State on the list. On the one hand, there's a certain amount of karma given the moralizing Wolfpack fans have lobbed at Chapel Hill in the last few years. Then on the other hand, it is kinda fucked up that UNC came away from the AFAM scandal with no punishment and now it looks like State might have it's second major infractions case in basketball.

College sports is a dirty, dirty business.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Also, if the NCAA ends up declaring Tony Bradley ineligible and forcing Carolina to vacate the 2017 title over a pre-college meal with an agent, after having left the 2005 title in tact when at least Rashad McCants should've been ineligible, my head might explode.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Who cares about all of this?

And rich to see the head of a massive price-fixing conspiracy (Mark Emmett) out there casting aspersions on people. If he was the CEO of a tire company he’d be in jail.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's a lot of good things going on in the basketball program besides this payment thing.

YankeeFan and poindexter like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jim Valvano was a raging cock. But then he got sick, make a speech and died, so now he’s a saint. But we’re not supposed to say such things bc it interferes with the tidy, feel good narrative. Yahoo expends a lot of energy on gotcha stories like this and i question the investment bc how much do readers really care? It’s largely sanctimonious bullshit.

McNuggetsMan likes this.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to thread-jack but that could be a whole new one: what people are revered in death or after retirement who were actually pricks on wheels. I know Valvano was. Dale Sr. was another. Lasorda and Lee Trevino were two I had personal experience with.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I''ll go first: Jesus Christ.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Billy Graham.

[/@RickStain]

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Your field for the NIT: the Nationally Indicted Tournament.

Baron Scicluna and heyabbott like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That Maryland got caught over Diamond Stone is disgusting. Hope that oaf blows out his ACL and has to work at a car wash.

Draft saved Draft deleted