1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Washington can't / won't regulate gun sales. ... can banks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 20, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the market working. You can bet there'd be a regional bank that's not affiliated with Chase, Citi or BOA that would wedge into that niche and start offering 0 percent interest on the first $10,000 spent on AR-15s.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The issuing banks are just one link in the chain.

You have the networks -- Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Discover. And you have the processors, such as First Data, Fiserv, Elevon, etc. A ban at those levels would make the issuing banks fairly irrelevant.

Let's say each of the major card networks changed their terms of service to bar doing business with any retailer that sells assault weapons. It wouldn't matter what any particular issuing bank wanted to market itself as. As long as it is a Visa or Mastercard of Amex, etc. any seller of firearms is going to be cut off from the credit card system. It doesn't matter if it is JP Morgan Chase or Big Bubba's Savings Bank. If they issue a card, it's not going to be accepted at a retailer that can't be part of the network.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My only point of reference is the immediate aftermath of the ridiculous UIGEA.
    I had a Visa CC/debit card through one bank that blocked me from online gambling, and I had another Visa CC/debit card that did not block me. The difference was the issuing bank, not the card network.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I believe it was in 1996 when Sheryl Crow released a song referencing children shooting each other with a gun bought at Walmart. Instead of taking it as a sign they needed to consider changing policy, Walmart got pissed and stopped selling Sheryl Crow CDs. So yeah, I could totally see them putting pressure on banks, credit card companies and processors in this case.
    It's an interesting idea overall, and anything limiting access to assault rifles is fine by me, whether this idea with cards or government legislation. But as others have pointed out, the credit card thing will just push transactions to the black market with cash.
    Here in Oregon, we have recreational marijuana shops. I'm pretty sure they are cash only, and that doesn't seem to be deterring business. I can't recall exactly what checking is done to make sure the buyer is of age and regulating rules about where consumption can take place and all of that, but maybe that could be used as a model?

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Three major car rental companies dump the NRA

Until Thursday, Enterprise Holdings, which operates Enterprise, Alamo, and National, had a partnership with the NRA to provide discounts to members of the gun lobby. The discounts were available to NRA members once they paid the $40 annual fee, and the companies were among the 22 corporations offering discounts and “five star savings” to the gun lobby’s members.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm always dubious of socially-conscious investing. It traditionally has had little impact on anything. At the same time, it is largely a fringe thing relegated to small funds. Blackrock is huge, with $6 trillion in assets under management, so if they were to divest of some of these companies, great. It can't hurt. Unfortunately, a great deal of investing has become passive over the past few years, and to the extent that Blackrock has funds that have to own an index, for those funds they are not going to be able to divest of companies that are in that index. Still, it's all good. None of this is going to hurt the problem, and if there is enough action, it might actually have an impact on gun sales -- even if it is just a marginal one.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's one company, with three brands.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

ok

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This might be the one way to fix the problem, given that politicians seem unwilling. Go at the NRA. Rob them of their money. Make a membership something shameful.

Draft saved Draft deleted