1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The most impressive thing I saw from Graham was a Larry King interview response when King asked him "What if you're wrong?" Graham admitted he'd pondered it (imagine a televangelist now admitting that), allowed it was possible he was wrong, but could only go by the convictions of his heart. And he added that if he was wrong, he'd lost nothing. If King was wrong, he said, you've lost everything. I'm not doing it justice and I'm no longer a believer, but it was a powerful testimony and showed humility and conviction cohabitating inside him that made me never question his conviction or his larger motives. I think he made missteps, but I never questioned his sincerity.

murphyc likes this.
  2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

First you get the shell, then you get the lettuce, then you get the lady turtle.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I have actually thought about this question, too. I'd bet that most people of strong Christian faith have.

And I get that perspective of Billy Graham entirely. Basically, it is that, if you're wrong, well, then, you've lived a good life, anyway -- one in which you followed your convictions, and with which you are satisfied and happy, and can be well pleased. So, as Graham said, you've lost nothing, and, you've still gained something, even if that something is not necessarily everlasting life.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That puts him in line with every modern evangelical pseudo Christian. Big on Israel because they think that support will hasten the second coming.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

How long would a "Does God exist?" thread last around here?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Scientific method says form a hypothesis then test it.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Did God create man, or did man create God? Discuss ...

Slacker likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, having grown up around people of strong faith, I know most do consider this question, are open to this, deal with this as a part of that faith. It was just refreshing to see someone who had a television ministry discuss it so openly. I think most people in that position are hesitant to show any cracks or doubts in their faith, because non-believers (and they're right to worry about this) will use that as an opening to attack. But I think they do more harm than good in showing this wall of certainty. If C.S. Lewis and Billy Graham were able to discuss their own doubts and insecurities of faith, clearly almost anyone else who calls themselves a Christian should be able to, as well.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This assumes the only choices are Graham was right about God and atheism. What if Graham was wrong about which version existed. Maybe God is real and pissed at him.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Define G-d and I’ll tell you if G-d exists

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Always considered Graham the most sincere by far, especially in the age of Pat Robertson, Falwell, Swaggart and Oral Roberts.

Draft saved Draft deleted