1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Graham

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Feb 21, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So you’re saying he was a sage

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Vincent Canby, an entertainment writer for The Times, died in 2000. He got a byline in 2003 when Bob Hope died.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Billy Graham: HOF?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of what? Jew-haters?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Won’t get in with the writers, but may on the Apostles Committee

cyclingwriter2, MTM and Songbird like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

WWE inducted him in 2003.

(Yeah, I know. The evangelist or wrestler jokes just write themselves.)

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Billy Graham is dead, and we can’t get Joel Osteen on a helicopter? </denisleary>

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, he consulted with presidents, but his motivation was promoting the faith. The current generation of evangelists would be better to follow his example.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Had one of our occasional "what celebrity death would make A1" talks after deadline in our shop, and Billy Graham was on the list.

We're a hyperlocal 15K daily, but I believe we're talking to local evangelical ministers to work up a reaction story to go with his AP obituary.

Not a huge fan of TV preachers, but Graham always seemed sincere, thoughtful and inclusive as he spoke about his faith. RIP.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Billy Graham seemed a cut above all the other evangelists, but all of it seems like a huge money grab to me. YMMV.

(Moved my post over from the Politics thread.)

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This pretty much nails it for me. I don't doubt that he considered himself a devout Christian, and he certainly was better than the run of the mill televangelists... but he lived pretty well off his schtick.

That said, he was a hundred times the both the preacher and the man that Franklin Graham is.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I agree. Franklin appears to be politics first, then business, then religion.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted