1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Boy Who Wouldn't Die... Amazing piece in SI about Rae Carruth's son

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 12, 2012.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

If he's at CNN, probably. :D

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Kram was a fabulist. Perhaps the best ever.

According to Michael MacCambridge's history of SI Kram had found a girlfriend in Manilla, who later replaced his then wife. Kram spent very little time actually going out and reporting because he was preoccupied with her and he was afraid of traveling in Manila. He wrote the story off of his photographer's notes. Kram did not attend attend the banquet that he opens with. Which leads one to wonder how he was able to vividly describe Ali's appearance off of a set of notes.

Kram also was not physically in the bedroom where he quotes and describes Frazier. Kram does not name who Frazier was talking to. No one has ever been able to confirm the person Frazier was conversing with, much less the quotes. Kram said he got the quotes second hand. Even if you accept Kram's explanation the use of direct quotes is an ethical breach (the quotes do frame the story beautifully, though).

It was disappointing to read MacCambridge's book and learn this. I still remember reading that story in the cafeteria of Sewall Hall at the University of Colorado my freshman year and thinking it was the greatest story of an event I had ever read and wondering how anyone could be that good a writer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

If nothing else, I'm sure Kram spelled 'Manila' correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted