1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

To me, this is the most fascinating ad on TV in years; as a former maker of DRTV spots, for the life of me I can't understand what the fuck they are doing with that odd casting. But given how many times it runs, it clearly works for the client so that's left me thinking that maybe they picked a guy that 21 year old crack addicts can relate to and won't feel like they're being judged by. I dunno. But why is he wearing surgical scrubs? And what is it with those $5 glasses?

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

First Dos XX ruins a good campaign by switching out The Most Interesting Man in the World then they add Rob Rigle.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I don't know what I find more annoying on the Credit Karma commercials:

* That every person who has never heard of Credit Karma, instantly and with one punch of a button, is already signed up, logged in and saved on their phone ...

* Or the fact that the white guy's credit is the only one that "Needs work" while the monorities and females all have good to excellent credit.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Some people still like cable. Just like some people MUTE THIS EFFING DIRECTV AD EVERY TIME.

Oh, and hey satellite providers: you know what I really like? Having the Weather Channel working during spring tornado warnings. Living with Dish Network in Kansas (because we couldn't get cable. ahhhh country living) meant that every time we really really needed our TV to work, it was cloudier than the sky outside.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

This one had me laughing this morning. Was at a cafe for breakfast and the "other" Weather Channel (I forget the name...Weather Central maybe?) had this short infomercial on it.

Check out at 1:08, when they sharpen the credit card to cut the tomato...in HD you can see the thing is precut and the guy rotates the tomato so that he can slide the "sharp" credt card in. LOL

Bavarian Edge TV Commercial, 'Razor-Sharp Edge in an Instant'

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I see on the latest ad, they’ve finally added “actor portrayal” in the bottom corner. NO! You mean the scruffy douche in the scrubs really isn’t a doctor?!?!

The same folks also have a different version of the ad that tags with “Make America Sober Again.” Wonder who that’s aimed at? Meth-addicted Trump voters in flyover country?

spikechiquet and Jake_Taylor like this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, the 20-something "couple" sitting on a sofa telling us about the horrors of owning a timeshare.

The disclaimer at the beginning is absolutely freeze-frame worthy.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I will buy Snickers stock. I will donate to whatever charity ESPN wants. But please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE THAT STUPID FUCKING SNICKER SIRI HOW DO YOU MAKE BUTTER AD OFF.

I swear to god the last 3 basketball games I've seen, they played it twice every ad break. I've also seen it several times during the Olympics. MAKE IT STOP. I swear I've seen this stupid malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen at least 10-15 times a day for the last week.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We took a break from the Olympics and went to the movies last night. The same freaking commercials that play over and over during the Olympics TV coverage were playing before the movie and the previews started. Horrible ... just horrible.

10. KFC commercials.
    I swear to fucking Christ, I will never buy a piece of chicken there. Ever.

Huggy likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Radio division. The Medishare guy.
    "Hiiii, I'm Braaad."
    I've seen people with punchable faces. He might be one of the first I've heard with a punchable voice. It's so patronizing and phony I just want to reach through the radio and punch him in the nose.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The thought of Col. Sanders as a crossdresser is using up too many of my valuable brain cells.

Draft saved Draft deleted