1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jim & Susan McDougal went to jail for fraud. And, their fraud, involving their failed savings & loan, was certainly tied to the Whitewater real estate project.

You also had Robert W. Palmer, who pleaded guilty in 1994 to a felony count of conspiracy for filing false real estate appraisals; and Chris Wade, a Whitewater real estate agent who pleaded guilty in 1995 to two felony counts including bankruptcy fraud.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think gun control advocates realize just how embedded the idea that everyone has a right to own an AR-15 is in the right-wing culture. Perusing Walgreen's again, yesterday, there is a full special issue put out by Guns & Ammo about the sheer awesomeness of the AR-15, much like one of those Rolling Stone issues on the albums of Bob Dylan or Pink Floyd.

3. YankeeFan

Mueller's indictment isn't the 'bombshell" it appears to be.

it's just a rehash of a Russian journalist' work, that has been out there for months.

A 37-page indictment issued by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s team on Friday brings fresh American attention to one of the strangest elements of alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election: The Internet Research Agency (IRA), a state-sponsored “troll factory” in St. Petersburg.

But much of the information Mueller published on Friday about the agency’s efforts to influence the election had already been published last October — in an article by a Russian business magazine, RBC.

In a 4,500-word report titled “How the 'troll factory' worked the U.S. elections,” journalists Polina Rusyaeva and Andrey Zakharov offered the fullest picture yet of how the “American department” of the IRA used Facebook, Twitter and other tactics to inflame tensions ahead of the 2016 vote. The article also looked at the staffing structure of the organization and revealed details about its budget and salaries.

Zakharov agreed to answer some questions for WorldViews about his reaction to the details about the IRA in Mueller’s indictments (Rusyaeva left journalism after the story came out, although she stresses she did not do so because of a reaction to the story). Zakharov explained how it was a strange feeling seeing something he had so closely investigated become a major issue in the United States, when it had not been a “bombshell” when he published his report at home.
    It looks like they just took some employees from the that American department whose names they could get. But the American department was like 90 people. So my reaction was that, for me, it was like that curious list of oligarchs and Kremlin authorities where they put the whole Forbes list and the whole Kremlin administration on it. It’s very strange.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-mueller-indictments/?utm_term=.92fd7d1e49b1

4. Dick Whitman

Also, I know that it's a betrayal of the left to mention anything other than gun control at the root of the mass shooting epidemic, but I swear even movie trailers are becoming more violent. Before "Black Panther," there was trailer for a Bruce Willis joint in which he seeks vigilante justice to avenge his wife's death. It's just 3-5 minutes of Bruce Willis looking cool as fuck as he wastes a bunch of dudes in Chicago with various firearms. All I wanted to do was bring my 8-year-old to a superhero movie. Yes, I get that "Black Panther" is PG-13 and it's on me, to an extent. But, damn, trailers in particular make gunplay look fucking awesome.

lakefront likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's the top-selling style of long gun in the USA and has been for several years. Magazines with ARs on the cover sell better than when a pistol is featured. ARs were so popular after Sandy Hook that ammo makers quit making .22 ammo to meet demand for .223 (which then led to a run on .22 ammo and insane markups in the secondary market).

6. YankeeFan

All guns used in movies should be required to have an orange tip, so we know they're no real:

[​IMG]

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So that explains why Trump hasn't enforced the Russian sanctions.

8. Dick Whitman

Don't get me wrong. I don't think there's much we can do about it. But between "Call of Duty"-style games and stylized modern movies and (especially) trailers, I'm willing to entertain the hypothesis that gunning people down seems cool as fuck to someone already predisposed to a loss of touch with reality.

9. YankeeFan

True or false:

Russia faces more sanctions today than they did on election day 2016?

10. YankeeFan

Hollywood has done something. Fewer people in movies smoke cigarettes than ever before!

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True.

I can play this game, too!

True or false: We know a helluva lot more about Russia's attack on our democracy now than we did then.

True or false: Donald Trump has criticised the FBI 100 times more often than he has Mr. Putin.

True or false: Mr. Trump has yet to sign the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act that was overwhelmingly passed in a bipartisan vote.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.