1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have bigger boobs.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

True.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Hurtful.

QYFW likes this.
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Jealousy on my part.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So I now have to take an enforced 30-day break from posting on Facebook for "violating community standards." It's not my first time in Facebook timeout because certain anti-abortion snowflakes got their feelings hurt because I dared to challenge their most fundamental beliefs.

What bothers me, though, is there's no rhyme or reason to Facebook's bans. A typical exchange:

Anti-abort: "You baby-killers are bullies on here. "

Me: "This is an anti-abortion page. There are five pro-choicers and 200 anti-aborts. How do five people bully 200?"

Anti-Abort: "Baron, you're a fucking asshole."

Me: " You didn't answer the question and showed your lack of intelligence by engaging in name calling."

Then I get the message that both of my posts "violate community standards." My second one, perhaps did, although they sure as heck should see what provoked the response. The first one, I was, like, what the hell?

Sometimes, I end up feeling like Cleveland State.

And yeah, I know. Why am I arguing with people on Facebook? Give me a break. It's addicting.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ah, that's it.

That violates the community standards rule of "sounding too much like OOP."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

@Double Down, I noticed that you have resumed an active Twitter life.

Curious about the change of heart.

Did the time away help with perspective, etc.?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Certainly time away helped. With golf season starting, realized it was important for me to have Twitter as part of my job. However...

1. My No. 1 rule is don't engage idiots. MUTE. MUTE. MUTE. In fact, I muted a ton of people I don't find interesting anymore but don't want the drama of being asked why I "unfollowed."

2. Muted the words "Trump" and "MAGA" and "cuck" and "Hillary" and "Clinton." They (mostly) no longer appear in my timeline. You still get some because Twitter muting won't pick up words in quote tweets. But overall, my timeline is much more pleasant.

3. No political tweets. Period. I may have my opinions and they may be strong, but I have no interest in sharing them on a dumb medium like Twitter.

4. If you tweet at me and say "Why haven't you said anything about [political issue/controversy dejur]? It's pretty sad that you won't speak up on behalf of [person who has done controversial thing]..." you are getting muted. Or blocked. I have zero interest in playing that game anymore.

Getting back on Twitter is probably a bad idea, on some level. But I do feel a five month break cured me of some of my worst instincts. Nothing I say will make any impact on any political stance I have. I will not "help the resistance" by RT-ing pithy comments from wise-cracking liberals.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

A while ago some dipshit who covers the 76ers for free for a website began trolling me over some harmless tweeted about The Process (A Philly fan covering the team, it now appears).

I guess I was shocked that someone who appeared to be trying to make it as a sports journalist would put on such a clown show. Best not to engage.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You can't win. I'd rather mute every idiot that even acknowledge I listened to their bullshit.

Tweener and Machine Head like this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Why did you mute me? #Drama

Double Down likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I kinda like messing with the idiots.

Draft saved Draft deleted