1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And yes, the calorie counters are not totally accurate, but much closer to accurate if you punch in your weight and age.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm sure your legs are plenty worked out. They just aren't worked as out much as they would be if you weren't holding on for balance. It's not a criticism. It's just a fact. You wouldn't be able to walk at 4.5, I don't think, if you weren't holding on. You would have to run.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I understand but I'm not running full incline at 4.5. I could probably walk the 15 incline without holding anything at 3.5, maybe 3.6 or 3.7.

Bottom line is that right now I'm burning a lot of fat. I'll worry about some of that other stuff later.

4. Dick Whitman

Yeah, for sure. Keep doing what you're doing. It's working. I realize that not everyone is a lunatic like me.

5. Dick Whitman

16.5 miles on the treadmill today. It was as boring as it sounds.

6. Dick Whitman

Did some stairs at the office this morning, then came home and put in 70 minutes on the treadmill, getting it up to 7.0 mph and 4.0 incline for minutes 40-60. Usually the day after a long run I would take it a little easier than that, but I have only about 19 training days left until my tower race, and I have the hammer down right now.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I’m lying in bed looking at my treadmill.

BTExpress and Dick Whitman like this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I was actually able, yesterday, to fit into a couple pairs of jeans that I haven't worn for at least four or five years. Seemed like I'd never get into them again. For some reason, I lost about a half-inch from my waist the last few days. I could tell, but the tape measure verified it. I was down to about 32 inches on the dot this morning.

The idea of myself with abs ... I can't even fathom it. But maybe the day is coming.

I was jonesing bad for a nice delicious stout or bourbon on the rocks last night while grilling up dinner and watching the Olympics, but I resisted.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Finally dragged my ass up. Had 30 minutes. Wanted to get my gear rate up faster and keep it there as opposed to the longer, more methodical workouts I’m used to.

So, in 30:
    100 punches (shadowboxing)
    25 push-ups
    100 jumps (flat on floor, keeping hands up)

25 push-ups

25 push-ups

25 push-ups

25 push-ups

25 push-ups

25 stairsteps
    50 jumps

25 stairsteps
    50 jumps

25 stairsteps
    50 jumps

25 stairsteps
    50 jumps

150 punches
    150 jumps

25 push-ups
    25 push-ups

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm still walking a ton but I suck so bad at regulating what I eat. I still want to add something to the mix.

They opened a SoulCycle joint just down the hill from me, a very easy walk. All my "kids" at work who do it rave about it. I went online to check it out and it seems outrageously expensive. Anyone have any experience with it?

I think with how much I'm walking, a little better work on the food front and an alternative exercise three or so times a week would make a big difference.

A friend is after me to run a marathon with her, she did her first in December. Not sure I can handle all that pounding at this stage. I'm actively trying to avoid a knee replacement

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Still talking about running here!

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, in fact. RUNNING!

Draft saved Draft deleted