1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 Winter Games thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 18, 2018.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not following closely but has NBC discussed how bad this year’s U.S. team is?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Pics, links or GTFO

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The overall U.S. team?

4. Dick Whitman

American halfpipe skier who can't actually do any tricks qualified for the Olympics for Hungary by traveling around the world and collecting "top 30" finishes in freestyle events.

Basically gamed the system - there are infrequently 30 skiers in a halfpipe competition.

Winter Olympics: Bad skier games system to reach PyeongChang

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I used to joke about doing something like that. Like getting citizenship from the Faroe Islands to play in a World Cup qualifier or Bermuda to do biathlon.

I'm equally overjoyed she did it and appalled at how bad she is.

6. Dick Whitman

heyabbott likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yes.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As the article alludes, how is she any different than the shirtless dude from Tonga. Or Eddie the Eagle?
    How many US basketball players find some distant relative in Ireland or Poland to claim citizenship just to play on their Olympic team?

3000 competotitors for roughly 700 medals, including team competitions. Lots of people are just there to compete, eat, gets lots of cool swag and have super hot sex with the best bodies on the planet. Too late for me, but if you can do it. Do It

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've skied twice in my life and even I could go make half a rotation to ski backward. I guess if your life's goal is to say you were an Olympian . . .

10. Dick Whitman

I love the detail about how she would sometimes finish 13th or 14th of 15 participants because a couple others would crash. Austin Dillon says that seems like a sound strategy.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The funniest part of her run, her actually looking to see what her score was.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted