1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since I am a Massachusetts public course player who is sinking fast towards a 20 handicap, I will spend a little more to play balls not many other golfers use for the purposes of identification when hit towards parts unknown. The Callaway soccer ball ones are good for that.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Having mucked around at the PGA Merchandise Show and Demo Day a few times and playing with a variety of stuff, I still find E-7s and Project a's to be consistent enough for my "break 90 on a good day" game. At least I feel like I'm compressing those, even on a really cold day. And Top Rocks really are when it's 40 degrees.

I'm always amused by the other guys in my senior group who whip out a sleeve of Pro-Vs and proceed to hit them all of 125 yards from the red tees. But to each his own.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bubba wins Riv, and takes back his threat/promise to retire if he ever got to 10 wins. He'll likely be a serious contender at the Masters.

Speaking of golf balls, I know Bubba's health was an issue, but it is absurd that he played Volvik golf balls (without ever even testing them!) for a year and proceeded to sink like a stone in the rankings. A guy who works the ball on ever. single. shot. should not be playing putt putt balls that don't spin like Pro V1s.

As big of a weirdo as Bubba is, I'm glad he's back. Golf is more interesting when he's involved, even if he's frequently insufferable.

Cantlay needs to speed up and hit the damn ball. But he's for real. Going to win at least once this year.

And PHIL! That's three consecutive Top 10 finishes. Old dog still has some game!

Masters hype, engage!

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not a huge Bubba fan, but nice to see him healthy. Made the comment several times last year that he looked way, way too thin. Almost skeletal. He really kept his illness, whatever it was, under wraps. I hadn't heard he was sick until recently.

Bubba and Phil certainly figure to be in the Masters mix. Seems like Phil has played almost every tournament recently.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Five straight! It's wild.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And it pays off! Hey, DD, let’s see if we can stir JC up!

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Wow. So it wasn't just my imagination.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You do not stir me up, you thinking golfers these days are basically part time players is moronic. Pointed out by more than just me.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ has arisen. A little before Easter this year.

10. So does anyone have any idea what Bubba was dealing with (illness)?

Not a big fan of his either, but glad to see him win.

I want to nail Cantlay's feet to ground.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The move to Volvik was one of the all-time weird equipment moves for a pro, and that's saying something. I hope he got a boatload of money up front, because he surely didn't meet incentives if there were any.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watched a little bit of the broadcast yesterday, enough to see Cantlay take a full two minutes waggling over a bunker shot before finally hitting.

Draft saved Draft deleted